Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.016 "Deflecting Attraction" Released!  (Read 4913 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI War Beta 6.016 "Deflecting Attraction" Released!
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 12:48:33 am »
I think there are a few truly-unlimited-cap types left, though I think the manufactories were by far the cheapest.

And something tells me that when Faulty said "Deploying Science" he didn't mean "building an infinite number of science labs to soak exo alphas".
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:55:37 am »
You totally could do that though....
And then when you take a planet, you just move your science fleet onto the planet temporarily and claim all of the knowledge within a second. I would love to hear the scientists' opinion on that.

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 01:35:52 am »
And then when you take a planet, you just move your science fleet onto the planet temporarily and claim all of the knowledge within a second.
"Alright everyone! Take a look at the planet and write down the first thing you notice. With the amount of people we have, we are likely to get everything that way."

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:40 am »
And something tells me that when Faulty said "Deploying Science" he didn't mean "building an infinite number of science labs to soak exo alphas".
I simply meant "I'm off to gather data" but there was that one time when I covered a HW attack with ~8000 science Is. (This was before their energy cost increase.)

Initial data indicates... I'm lazy. I still haven't faced a new sc/golem exo yet.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline Winge

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:53 pm »
I could explain but I couldn't do better than:

Because if we allow that, we might as well remove brown outs

:)

Oh, all right :-\

One note on the patch itself:  the "Avoid this planet for pathing" doesn't seem to work in my current game (I seriously want it to, as there is a Gravity Drill world my ships desperately want to path through...).  Granted, this game started well before the patch.  Has anyone gotten it to work for them yet?  That would at least tell me that it's not a bug.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »
One note on the patch itself:  the "Avoid this planet for pathing" doesn't seem to work in my current game (I seriously want it to, as there is a Gravity Drill world my ships desperately want to path through...).  Granted, this game started well before the patch.  Has anyone gotten it to work for them yet?  That would at least tell me that it's not a bug.
When you go to the "source" planet, then switch to the galaxy map, the mouseover the "destination" planet, does it still draw the line through the planet you've marked for avoidance?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Winge

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 10:02:42 pm »
When you go to the "source" planet, then switch to the galaxy map, the mouseover the "destination" planet, does it still draw the line through the planet you've marked for avoidance?

Hmm, it seems to be working now.  I'm not sure what changed.  Before, it wouldn't even draw the lines...I would just path right through the planet.  I'll play with it some more later, and see if it still gives the desired results.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 04:47:22 am »
It should be noted that the new "Avoid-this-planet" feature doesn't actually work.

In my current game, I created an "avoid flag" in the CTRLS on the planet "Achtoothsuo".

My units are on Yoslovtch, trying to get to Charquta.

Now when you select the units on Yoslovtch, and give them a path to Charquta, interestingly the path avoids Achtoothsuo, and takes them through the neutered planet of Shloafr instead. However, when the units actually start GOING, they just ignore the path the game says they will take, and they just go to Achtoothsuo anyway.

TL;DR - Achtoothsuo is marked as a "NO GO". Take the units on Yoslovtch, and tell them to go to Charquta. See what happens.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:49 am »
Ah, so they treat it like we treat our sat navs in our cars.  "Turn right?  Yeah right, this way is faster."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »
Ah, so they treat it like we treat our sat navs in our cars.  "Turn right?  Yeah right, this way is faster."
GPS: "Turn right in 200 feet".
GPS: "Turn right in 100 feet".
GPS: "Turn right".
GPS: "Turn right now".
GPS: "...".
GPS: "Recalculating...".
GPS: "Take evasive maneuvers to stay out of Superfortress range".

I think we'd start paying better attention to the sat nav in such cases.

Anyway, thanks for the save, Wingflier, I was able to fix the problem.  The line was drawing right on the galaxy map in that case, but it wasn't actually pathing properly when given the order.  The logic is now far more unified, though I don't think it's happy about it.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 02:41:41 pm »
Ironically, the surprise of losing half my fleet to a pathing incident paled in comparison to the frustration of having to type the f*cking planet names in the forum.

I very nearly broke my keyboard in distress.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 02:53:30 pm »
Achtoothsuo is quite an impressive effort on the name generator's part.

The planet-names file awaits you.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 02:55:01 pm »
Achtoothsuo is quite an impressive effort on the name generator's part.

The planet-names file awaits you.
If you'll believe it, I've made separate 3 files with 80 planet names in each, then formatted my hard drive each time for 1 reason or another.

My lack of sentimentality gets me into trouble sometimes.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »
Ironically, the surprise of losing half my fleet to a pathing incident paled in comparison to the frustration of having to type the f*cking planet names in the forum.

I very nearly broke my keyboard in distress.
http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,1577.0.html
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 12:20:00 am »
I just booted up a game from a month and a half ago, and my Spire Frigates feel like vaporous blobs of paste compared to the newly buffed spire starship (I'm not sure if I should be elated or disappointed)

They don't even have much more DPS individually... compared to the mark 1.

FFS, even fortresses feel a bit squishy compared to the Spire and Zenith starships! (Oh god, 100 million health! That's like a golem with a smaller gun!)

I think I might actually bring some ships with the Spire fleet now. (Admittedly, it does cost twice as much as a frigate, and it'll only distract ships that get close, but ships in close is what I was worrying about anyway)