Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.016 "Deflecting Attraction" Released!  (Read 4921 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War Beta 6.016 "Deflecting Attraction" Released!
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:15:34 pm »
(Crossposted from this blog post)

This one contains over a dozen significant balance changes and bug fixes.  Not as dramatic as some previous releases but combined these have a fairly big impact.

The "Deflector Drone" bonus fleet ship has been renamed to "Attractor Drone" along with a number of buffs to bring it back from the realm of infamy.  The name change is due to our replacing its "reduce all laser damage to nearby allies by 75%" mechanic with "all laser shots fired at nearby allies target the drone instead", not very unlike the special mechanic of the Youngling Weasel (or Decoy Drone).

The capturable Advanced Factory, Advanced Starship Constructor, and Fabricator structures have been buffed in two important ways: mapgen will now put them in more defensible positions, and they now work much better with human intra-galactic warp gates.  Now the MkIV ships produced from the Advanced Factory and Advanced Starship Constructor (and the Mercenary Space Dock, while we were at it) only get 4 or 8 seconds of paralysis instead of 1 or 2 minutes (the longer time being used on non-friendly planets).  And the ships produced from the Fabs experience no post-warp paralysis at all.  Our hope is that this will help these structures be more attractive to the player due to the reduced logistical difficulties.  There are still issues with defending these on games with exo-sources, but that's a trickier problem (even in determining whether it _is_ a problem) and can be addressed later.

If you've been bashing your head on the desk over the recent buffs to the normal AI guard posts, don't despair, we've fixed a balance oversight where they were countering their triangle-counters.  So now when you bring in the countering triangle type you won't take nearly so many casualties.  Of course you don't always have the luxury of having the right type on hand or leaving everything else behind, but that problem is left as an exercise for the reader.  In addition, we fixed a longstanding issue with mapgen that was preventing the internal planet-strength-differentiation logic from really having any impact on guard post count.  Not that it mattered much before the buffs, but now that guard posts can actually hurt you it's nice when normal AI planets don't all have the same number of guard posts.  For that matter, if you want to just path through the lower-post-count planets on your way through, that's now possible in many cases.

Speaking of pathing, we've added a long-requested option to the per-planet controls: "Avoid Pathing Through This Planet".  We hope this will save much frustration from galaxy map movement orders sending entire fleets through the wrong (but quickest) wormhole only to be swallowed by a small dog (or a not-so-small superfort).

If you're curious about the rest of the changes, have a look at the release notes :)

Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the  in-game updater itself, if you already have 4.000 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 4.000 or later, you can download that here.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: AI War Beta 6.016 "Deflecting Attraction" Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »
Yay!

Now maybe we can get some attention for the raptor...

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:29:55 pm »
Now I want to restart just for the seeding of fab./adv fab/ASC.  ;)

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »
Now maybe we can get some attention for the raptor...
Last time I said Raptor sucks people got defensive and said it's good.. well.. it really isn't. It has very low dps, very low health and is very expensive.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »
Exos from golems-hard and spirecraft-hard are now more aggressive on diffs higher than 8, with 8.3 getting a very slight boost, 9 a modest one, and 10... well, it's likely to hurt.
Sounds fun. Deploying Science.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »
Exos from golems-hard and spirecraft-hard are now more aggressive on diffs higher than 8, with 8.3 getting a very slight boost, 9 a modest one, and 10... well, it's likely to hurt.
Science Processing Units active.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Winge

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:12 pm »
Yay!  Avoid planet for pathing added AND Guard Post hull type fixed!  /hug

I disagree with the 'brownout prevention' change, though.  I'm still of the opinion that you should be able to stand-down Matter Converters--can someone enlighten me about why we can't stand-down Matter Converters?  I must've missed that memo somewhere in the change logs.

Science Processing Units active.

Aperture Science always strives for a safe work environment where possible.  When that is not possible, Aperture Science provides helpful advice.  For example, "this game setting will kill you; try to enjoy it."
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:08:04 pm »
Because if we allow that, we might as well remove brown outs, since it is impossible for the AI to knock you out of energy, because you can have 4 (or 40) Matter Converters in every system all at 99% and paused.  Whenever you lose an online one, power up one to finish constructing in a second.  All it takes is mindless time to set up since we have unlimited resources.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »
I disagree with the 'brownout prevention' change, though.  I'm still of the opinion that you should be able to stand-down Matter Converters--can someone enlighten me about why we can't stand-down Matter Converters?  I must've missed that memo somewhere in the change logs.

Keith will have to confirm, but I recall it being a combination of a couple things.

First was that one of the major points was to overhaul the energy system to get rid of the turning energy reactors on/off to micro resource production. That carried over to the new system in being unable to turn the matter converters off/on to avoid microing them.

The other reason is that energy blackout is supposed to be a loss condition if the AI can hit you hard enough across multiple systems (hello CPA). This was intended to avoid the "death by 1000 cuts" where you could survive the AI's attacks but they were hurting you bad enough that you could not entirely rebuild between waves and so were effectively stalemated for a long time until the AI finally got lucky and killed you.

Instead once your energy production takes enough of a hit, the AI just steamrolls your remaining forces so you are not stuck playing a losing game for a few hours.

Note that as you get more systems, your energy buffer from the energy collectors increases so that if you have a 10 planet empire losing 1 (or probably 2) systems does not come close to causing this "energy blackout loss".

This change was implemented to stop a whole bunch of matter converters being built and then stopped at 99% to await the blackout condition and finishing them that last percent as that is just turning them off by another name.

That's what I recall anyway.

D.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:16:05 pm by Diazo »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »
I could explain but I couldn't do better than:

Because if we allow that, we might as well remove brown outs

:)

Quote from: Winge
Aperture Science always strives for a safe work environment where possible.  When that is not possible, Aperture Science provides helpful advice.  For example, "this game setting will kill you; try to enjoy it."
"Be Advised: Failure to properly employ Riot Control Starships and Warheads in response to this exogalactic attack will result in 10 demerits on your permanent record, followed by death."

Offline Histidine

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:20 pm »
How about doing it like the manufactory removal? When power supply is otherwise insufficient, convert M+C to energy automatically at a low efficiency, enough to cover the shortfall. If you run out of M+C, tough luck: say goodbye to your forcefields.

Or is that too opaque?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »
How about doing it like the manufactory removal? When power supply is otherwise insufficient, convert M+C to energy automatically at a low efficiency, enough to cover the shortfall. If you run out of M+C, tough luck: say goodbye to your forcefields.

Or is that too opaque?
Part of the point of the current system is that if you want "brownout insurance" you have to pay the m+c operating costs whether you're using the extra energy or not.  If you really want to not pay more m+c than you need to, you have to go with minimal insurance.  Of course, depending on how many planets you're holding (and thus how many energy collectors you have, which cost no ongoing m+c) and your force mix, your level of insurance even at 0 converters can be quite high.  ZPGs don't hurt, either :)

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:40:39 am »
There's also the fact that the manufactories were cheap, quick to build, you start with them, and there's nothing stopping you from building them to no end. With the power generators, losing them actually has a point and purpose. Removing the structure and automating that process means the AI has fewer places that it can really cause lasting damage with its attacks.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:12 am »
There's also the fact that the manufactories were cheap, quick to build, you start with them, and there's nothing stopping you from building them to no end. With the power generators, losing them actually has a point and purpose. Removing the structure and automating that process means the AI has fewer places that it can really cause lasting damage with its attacks.

I never did bring it up but becuase i didn't want it nerfed...but...

if you had a strong enough cpu, you could spam tens of thousands of manufactories as meatshields supported by a cap a rebuilders on your whipping boy to tank enemy fire.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 12:47:27 am »
I actually did go and check when manufactories were up for nerfing and realized that there was no limit to the cap on manufactories, so I was wondering if that was possible myself. That's kind of hilarious and clever... but I doubt it's quite as effective as fortress spam.