Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.014-6.015 "De-Faulting The Logic" Released!  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: AI War Beta 6.014-6.015 "De-Faulting The Logic" Released!
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »
Very funny, Faulty.

Coincidentally, the AI's target priotization logic for that subroutine places high value on unauthorized edits to the release notes.
I would have taken it down myself around midnight.

I thought it was fairly humorous myself :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »
Since I upgraded to 6.015, I've seen some errors in the AIErrors.txt and ArcenDebugLog.txt files, mostly relating to null references.
This seems to be in the AIRouting.FindDistancesFromPlanets method.  I've attached the files so you can see for yourself.

These errors do not appear ingame, and do not appear to have any practical effect on gameplay.  Never would have noticed if I hadn't happened to check those two files for content.
Just took a look, and it sounds pretty bizarre that these errors would be happening all of a sudden.  Anyway, they're not really in functions that I can find the errors in question without line numbers, and I can't get line numbers from user-side logs (thanks, Unity, for not allowing release builds with proper symbols included), so I need to reproduce it locally.  Do you have any saves where any of these errors happen?

Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 05:01:34 pm »
Since I upgraded to 6.015, I've seen some errors in the AIErrors.txt and ArcenDebugLog.txt files, mostly relating to null references.
This seems to be in the AIRouting.FindDistancesFromPlanets method.  I've attached the files so you can see for yourself.

These errors do not appear ingame, and do not appear to have any practical effect on gameplay.  Never would have noticed if I hadn't happened to check those two files for content.
Just took a look, and it sounds pretty bizarre that these errors would be happening all of a sudden.  Anyway, they're not really in functions that I can find the errors in question without line numbers, and I can't get line numbers from user-side logs (thanks, Unity, for not allowing release builds with proper symbols included), so I need to reproduce it locally.  Do you have any saves where any of these errors happen?
I have 4 saves from 15-30 minutes before an error occured, and I have 2 saves from a minute or two AFTER an error occured.
I tried to reproduce from the 'before' saves, and was unable to do so.  Probably because I didn't perform the same actions the second time around.

I've attached both sets of save files anyway, but good luck.  Sorry I don't have anything better for you.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 05:03:25 pm »
Toranth: what happened to generate your avatar?

I'm thinking an ST hack gone horribly wrong, or a bug where the "all raid starships" modifier ended up applying to exos?
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 05:06:00 pm »
I'm thinking an ST hack gone horribly wrong
Iirc that's what happened.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 05:08:27 pm »
I tried to reproduce from the 'before' saves, and was unable to do so.  Probably because I didn't perform the same actions the second time around.

I've attached both sets of save files anyway, but good luck.  Sorry I don't have anything better for you.
No problem, if they're that intermittent and such it's probably not hurting much.  Most AI thread logic is just "loop everything I have, see if I want it to do something different, and then do it again", so if it messes up on one go-through it'll get it next time.  All the errors I saw in your log were the sort that would just interrupt it on that cycle and it'd retry a brief moment later.

Still want to fix them, but I don't think it's causing any major malfunctions.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »

No problem, if they're that intermittent and such it's probably not hurting much.  Most AI thread logic is just "loop everything I have, see if I want it to do something different, and then do it again", so if it messes up on one go-through it'll get it next time.  All the errors I saw in your log were the sort that would just interrupt it on that cycle and it'd retry a brief moment later.

Still want to fix them, but I don't think it's causing any major malfunctions.
As far as I can tell, it had no impact on the game.  No errors appeared in game, and I didn't notice anything bizarre going on with the AI.  Glad to see it probably isn't important; I can go back to ignoring those files again now.

Toranth: what happened to generate your avatar?

I'm thinking an ST hack gone horribly wrong, or a bug where the "all raid starships" modifier ended up applying to exos?
Ah, memories... (twitch shiver shiver)  See, it was about this time last year, when suddenly...

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 12:16:09 pm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk