Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.006 "The Pain Train" Released!  (Read 14945 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: AI War Beta 6.006 "The Pain Train" Released!
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
HBC's might put a dent in them.

Anyway, I'm forcing myself to play a game with train intensity 10 for both very soon. Keeping the AI difficulties low (and no trainmasters), but still, how do I survive this?
You...don't?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2012, 01:32:11 pm »
To survive trains-10 you need a way to secure your homeworld and main defenses so that trains won't path through them, and you need some kind of defense that can stop a mkI HK + 2 golems.  If it's not a train master you probably have about an hour and a half to prepare for the first HK.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2012, 01:34:16 pm »
Gotta find those stations and kill them off so trains won't path through your homeworld then.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2012, 01:41:24 pm »
Gotta find those stations and kill them off so trains won't path through your homeworld then.
You can just start on a planet that's never on a path between any two other planets; the corner of a crosshatch/grid, the end of an arm on an X, the center planet of a concentric, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »
... An HOUR AND A HALF to prepare for 2 golems and a hunterkiller?
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »
To survive trains-10 you need a way to secure your homeworld and main defenses so that trains won't path through them, and you need some kind of defense that can stop a mkI HK + 2 golems.  If it's not a train master you probably have about an hour and a half to prepare for the first HK.
Do multiple homeworlds/Champions affect the train spawn?  Does AI handicap?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »
... An HOUR AND A HALF to prepare for 2 golems and a hunterkiller?
On Trains-10.  On Trains-8 I figure you'd have about twice as long, and below that there's no HK.

Do multiple homeworlds/Champions affect the train spawn?  Does AI handicap?
Multi-HW, no, though perhaps it should for the cargo spawns.  Handicap doesn't impact any of it.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »
If it's not a train master you probably have about an hour and a half to prepare for the first HK.

What about a speed racer?

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »
well, I was planning to start on a crosshatch anyway, so I'll just start in a corner. An hour and a half to prepare for 2 golems and a H/K is more than enough if you're playing with Spirecraft. Rams protected by cloacker starships should be able to do the trick.
What happens if you destroy all train stations in a galaxy? Will trains no longer spawn? Will trains just move randomly instead of moving back and forth from stations? Or will trains cease to move at all?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »
If it's not a train master you probably have about an hour and a half to prepare for the first HK.

Trains are immune to speed boosting.  Unless speed racer is bypassing that.  In which case you will probably die.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2012, 02:57:45 pm »
What happens if you destroy all train stations in a galaxy? Will trains no longer spawn? Will trains just move randomly instead of moving back and forth from stations? Or will trains cease to move at all?
They'll finish moving to their current destination and just sit there.  And no more will spawn.

And you'll have incurred a tremendous amount of AIP, if train-intensity was at all high ;)

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2012, 03:20:50 pm »
oh I'm not worried about AIP at all. You'll see why soon enough ;) I'm more worried about lots of other things lol

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 05:39:14 pm »

Trains are immune to speed boosting.  Unless speed racer is bypassing that.  In which case you will probably die.

Considering that Speed Racer is immune to all forms of speed dampening (i.e. Logistics Stations and the whole "not your world: half speed" thing)....

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »

Considering that Speed Racer is immune to all forms of speed dampening (i.e. Logistics Stations and the whole "not your world: half speed" thing)....
Thats the main reason for placing it file for disabling of AI's. Exos are brutal then.... normal things are more nasty as well (like kiting bombards...).

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2012, 08:29:08 pm »
Also the SF go at 200 speed. I think it qualifies as a "hard" AI now.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.