Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.006 "The Pain Train" Released!  (Read 14938 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: AI War Beta 6.006 "The Pain Train" Released!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
I did read the patch notes, and that does not answer my question. The patch notes state that it is possible to kill nuke trains. It does not say whether this prevents them detonating or if they behave like Nuclear Warheads, which explode and glass the planet when you kill them.

It seemed fairly obvious that killing one was the only way to stop it (i.e. it didn't explode) but you are correct, it isn't stated explicitly.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:46 am »
BTW, I am glad that the anti-forcefield and armor-inhibitor trains are rarer than the other, and gated at higher intensities, but can they have the reduced HP due to the severity of their effect? Maybe 2x the health of the EMP and Nuke trains?

For reference, here's the lists for picking a non-cargo train (each spawn has a 30% chance of being a cargo train, and a 70% of picking from the corresponding list below) :

Code: [Select]
--code block--

That code barely makes any sense to me. o..O

I'll see if I can put it in more human-readable terms.
But I will need to make a table first...

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:27 am »
Fair enough.  I've edited it to remove the structural parts of the code in that block to just leave the actually relevant info ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:21 am »
OK, my "list of issues" post from before has now been edited to include the corresponding issues I have just wrote up for them, as I said I would.

Except for one that I can't remember what it was for, and I didn't load it up and check last night.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
Fair enough.  I've edited it to remove the structural parts of the code in that block to just leave the actually relevant info ;)

Much better.  I know case statements, but the function calls were just "bwuh?"
So while not relevant to how "intensity" corresponded to "selection" I couldn't make heads or tails of how it actually selected one out of that mess.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »
Should nuke trains maybe have a general vague warning like super hybrids even when they aren't scouted? Perhaps along with a siren going off when they spawn along with "nuclear launch detected"?

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »
Should nuke trains maybe have a general vague warning like super hybrids even when they aren't scouted? Perhaps along with a siren going off when they spawn along with "nuclear launch detected"?

I approve of this idea, or at least the general vague warning part.

Yes, nuke trains are that big of a deal.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »
Be positive, at least you get to call a part of your AAR "Project Peacemaker".

Offline ZaneWolfe

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 04:15:29 pm »
Correct, the nuke train is only in the intensity-10 list.

Perfect. I just wanted to make sure I could set it to 8/10 to see if the AI will cargo up a Mothership or an H/K without worrying about nuke trains. Also, thanks all for the answering of my questions concerning the Scorched Earth AI and Nuclear command options. Still not going to use Scorched Earth, but might use the other.

As for EMP trains, I was mostly curious if I would see a lot of them at 8/10. My bigger concern in Tachyon trains... my poor scouts....

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »
My bigger concern in Tachyon trains... my poor scouts....
I hadn't even thought of that... that's pretty nasty, yea ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:18 pm »
My bigger concern in Tachyon trains... my poor scouts....
I hadn't even thought of that... that's pretty nasty, yea ;)

Yep, that was my first concern when I saw that.

Thankfully, the chances of your actively exploring out scouts encountering a tachyon train before the time they would of died anyways is pretty low.
However, tachyon trains do nerf "sentinal" scouts pretty darn hard.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 05:18:34 pm »
However, tachyon trains do nerf "sentinal" scouts pretty darn hard.
Yea, especially considering that picket scouts are pretty important to seeing what trains are coming ;)

Offline Pluto

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 11:28:34 pm »
Oh, god, this change to carriers absolutely destroyed a couple games I had. <_>

It's completely fair, but I hadn't quite realized how much of an impact it had made in my defenses.

Offline contingencyplan

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 12:43:03 am »
As a quick bug report, the game unpauses when I use the Custom Search (Narrow). For my search query (just trying it out), I typed in "Orbital" and it unpaused the game as I did so. It doesn't always unpause from what I can tell, but it may be related to the number of "dropped" items from the list. I can experiment around a bit more if it'd be helpful.

EDIT: Also, are scouts supposed to trigger Eyes? (Yes, I'm playing a 16HW game, but still --- seems to be counter to their purpose.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:09:40 am by contingencyplan »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 10:01:36 am »
Oh, god, this change to carriers absolutely destroyed a couple games I had. <_>
What change to carri- oh.  Yea.  Good night :)

As a quick bug report, the game unpauses when I use the Custom Search (Narrow). For my search query (just trying it out), I typed in "Orbital" and it unpaused the game as I did so. It doesn't always unpause from what I can tell, but it may be related to the number of "dropped" items from the list. I can experiment around a bit more if it'd be helpful.
That's really bizarre.  If you'd pressed "P" (or whatever, if you rebound the key) I could understand how it might bug that way, but not with what you listed.  I'll make a note to look at it, but if you could put it in mantis so I don't lose track, that'd help, thanks :)

EDIT: Also, are scouts supposed to trigger Eyes? (Yes, I'm playing a 16HW game, but still --- seems to be counter to their purpose.)
It's based purely on unit count, so yea.  For that matter, I think 50+ scouts actually alert a planet.  At some point it's kinda like a bunch of unarmed mimes: sure, they look harmless, but what is going on here? ;)