Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.005 "Burning The Candle At Both Ends" Released!  (Read 24647 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: AI War Beta 6.005 "Burning The Candle At Both Ends" Released!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »
You have an extra M in there Ricca

"Cap Health from 11,124,400*mk => 15M*mk."
I had just edited it after he mentioned it.  Originally it had an M.

Ninja edit... I looked less than 5 minutes after he posted  :o
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Histidine

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:20 pm »
I'm actually wondering now if the Superfort change merits promoting Fortress Baron from Easy to Moderate.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 02:54:30 am »
Honestly, given all the buffs to various units, I think the vanilla AI probably merits a move from easy to hard. Spaceships are just too strong now.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline contingencyplan

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 04:54:48 am »
Just to check, the Roman numeral after the wave warning indicates the wave's mark, right? And that mark should be consistent with the technology level of the AI based on AIP?

If my understanding is correct, then it appears that the AI is jumping the gun a bit with its waves (see attached save). I don't recall it doing this with the prior 6.x version, though it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 05:26:27 am »
Just to check, the Roman numeral after the wave warning indicates the wave's mark, right? And that mark should be consistent with the technology level of the AI based on AIP?

If my understanding is correct, then it appears that the AI is jumping the gun a bit with its waves (see attached save). I don't recall it doing this with the prior 6.x version, though it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

As you get closer to an AIP tech threshold, the AI will start blending in the next mark of ships. It helps keep the difficulty jump from being a cliff :)

And I do believe that is in for all difficulties 5 and up.

5.036 added the functionality for upper difficulties, 5.077 gave it to 5 and up (if you want to look at particulars).
And yes, I did stroll through the post 5.0 patch notes to find those references :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:37:26 am by Cinth »
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:37 am »
Honestly, given all the buffs to various units, I think the vanilla AI probably merits a move from easy to hard. Spaceships are just too strong now.

(Insert silly "Oh you" image macro, probably My Little Pony themed, here)

Offline Pluto

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:52 pm »
Appreciate the CS-assistance offers. :)  I'm not in any troubles now, but it's nice to have a convenient place to go with questions.  Right now, rather, I've been in the situation of "I've been coding for a good year on a fairly advanced level (much longer on a not-so-advanced level), but just switched from EE -> CS", so most of it, while I may not have written one before, I'm aware enough that it's tedious, rather than informative.

Anyways, it's a bit off-topic - maybe I'll throw up a topic just for the fun of discussing it, but here we go with this update.  Colony-bomb in the nebula.  Maybe too easy, actually.  The starbases themselves had little issues clearing them out.  It went from nigh-impossible with two champions (in my case) to a walk in the park with just my single champion (using photon lances, nonetheless, which had issues hitting the colony ships).

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 01:03:16 pm »
I just switched from EE -> CS

Two questions:

1) EE is ... ?  Cursory google search is indicating Java
2) Why the switch?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »
Electrical Engineering.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 01:07:57 pm »
The only priority queue I've implemented was a five-level one (specifically it was a linked list with one pointer per priority level to append new units in the right position) to handle shutting units down during brownouts in an RTS that wasn't going for the "energy low? Shut EVERYTHING down!" rule.

Speaking of which, "unaffected by negative energy" sounds like it refers to a weapon type or general bad vibes, it often takes me a while to realize that means brownout-proof.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 01:10:47 pm »
I think Speed Racer is a moderate AI now, with lightning-SF (and Z trader, and Avenger).
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »
Electrical Engineering.

I was an EE. Until they hit me with design and programming. I was always better at fixing crap than I was creating new stuff. Switching to math so most my credits wont be wasted.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 01:21:57 pm »
I think Speed Racer is a moderate AI now, with lightning-SF (and Z trader, and Avenger).

That speed boost can mess with quite a few things, including astro trains. I'm not sure it's beneficial for them to be faster though.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »
Electrical Engineering.

I was an EE. Until they hit me with design and programming. I was always better at fixing crap than I was creating new stuff. Switching to math so most my credits wont be wasted.

Of course.  Derp.

Anyway, I transferred out of CS (to digital media arts and design) when they hit me with VHDL (and linear algebra*).
One, I don't give a **** about how the CPU is constructed.
Two, VHDL is awful.

*I've met one person who got anything less than an A that wasn't an F in that course.  People either look at me funny and say "I understand it just fine" or they clap me on the shoulder and say "yeah, I didn't understand it either.  That's why I'm now [insert other major]"

(mod edit: profanity policy.  And knowing how the ALU works at the physical level is awesome, you're missing out)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:01:24 pm by keith.lamothe »

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »
Why Plasmasiege Starships splash damage vs FFs damages Home Command Station now? Intentional or bug?
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk