Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.003-6.004 "Fortress-size It" Released!  (Read 7867 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War Beta 6.003-6.004 "Fortress-size It" Released!
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:49:56 pm »
(Crossposted from this blog post)

This one greatly expands the module variety available to modular fortress owners in champion games.  Every module that can be unlocked on a champion now has a mod-fort equivalent (fortress modules only go up to MkIII though).  The pre-existing mod-fort modules are still unlocked via their related turret/starship/etc research, but the newly added ones are unlocked when any player-controlled champion in the game has unlocked them.

Speaking of champions, the "you must be within 20000 range of the dying unit to get XP for it" rule has been removed: you still have to be on the same planet, but the fine details don't matter.  Hopefully this will reduce the field of OCD behaviors slightly ;)  Overall it wasn't a big deal since most XP comes from winning nebulae (and everyone gets that), but it should please some players.

And speaking of modules: AI-controlled Spire Corvettes will now be much scarier because we fixed a bug that was keeping their modules at MkI.  Watch out for the high-mark ones.

Speaking of Spire stuff, the Shard-recovery chases in Fallen Spire have been revised again to not be so intense early on (where you don't have very far to go anyway) but still have the full force (or more) of the recent speed increases in the later stages (where you'll be more prepared).

The Ancient Shadows bonus ship far-zoom icons (i.e. the representation you see almost all the time) have been redone by long-time community member HitmanN.  Same with the Spire champion far-zoom icons.  They look [i]much[/i] better, in my opinion :)

Fixed a basically-since-forever bug where Defender mode would sometimes not launch waves.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, it happened when you rolled both AIs as types that don't send waves.  Computers think they're cute like that, doing what we say and not what we mean.

Special Forces now "breed" much more slowly, but have a higher possible population (both the rate and the cap scale up during the game with AIP, etc).  It's been amusing to see the "intragalactic sentry eye" effect as it's been called, but not actually the intention there ;)

And a few other changes.

Update: 6.004 hotfix to fix bug in the last version that changed the color of your ships in the planetary summary.

Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the  in-game updater itself, if you already have 4.000 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 4.000 or later, you can download that here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:03:24 pm by keith.lamothe »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
Re: AI War Beta 6.003 "Fortress-size It" Released!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »
*Changed planetary overlay to show everything as your color instead of blue

Who thought this was a good idea?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3569927/Screenshot_2012_10_29_19_01_53.png
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:07:05 pm »
*Changed planetary overlay to show everything as your color instead of blue

Who thought this was a good idea?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3569927/Screenshot_2012_10_29_19_01_53.png

Good ol' unintended consequences strikes again!

However, IMHO, this was a strikingly obvious case that should of been forseen ahead of time.

However, thanks for the modular fort options and the special forces nerf. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:12:52 pm by TechSY730 »

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:09:02 pm »
the sad part is.. its not even listed in the patchnotes. :(
edit; Oh yeah, fortress paralyzers have 3x shots - I thought we decided that was a nono for paralyzers?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:31:12 pm by Lancefighter »
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:56:28 pm »
Oops, I had been testing stuff with the colors but thought I reverted it.  Will fix.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:02:58 pm »
Update: 6.004 hotfix to fix bug in the last version that changed the color of your ships in the planetary summary.

Offline HitmanN

Re: AI War Beta 6.003-6.004 "Fortress-size It" Released!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »
Note to self: Don't cause Keith to experiment right before release.

:P

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
Note to self: Don't cause Keith to experiment right before release.

:P
Ayup ;)

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:57 pm »
thanks <3

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »
Fun curiosity. An AI Fortress needs supply and can be taken out of supply. A Coprocessor interferes with supply on a planet. How can the AI have a functional fort on a coprocessor planet?
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:42 pm »
Fun curiosity. An AI Fortress needs supply and can be taken out of supply. A Coprocessor interferes with supply on a planet. How can the AI have a functional fort on a coprocessor planet?
Sounds like bureaucratic paperwork mixups are not an exclusively human thing.

Answer to actual question: cross its fingers and hope you pop the coproc before the fort.

Edit: or is it simpler?  Does the coproc affect the AI's supply?  I'm guessing not.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »

Answer to actual question: cross its fingers and hope you pop the coproc before the fort.

Edit: or is it simpler?  Does the coproc affect the AI's supply?  I'm guessing not.

The simpler. Just thought it was odd when I came across that little planet. If it did interfere with AI supply (imo it should) then I could see leaving the CoP alone until the fort was popped. I still have to break down the front door though... about 2k worth in ships and 4 carriers are camping the WH... fort in range of said WH.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »

I thought it was something interferes with enemy supply. As only the AI can get them normaly, only humans will be hit by the supply block.
It woul be interesting to see if someone hacked in a co-processor under human ownership, whether it would block AI supply.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:48 am »
The module availability for non-champions seems a bit messed up. For example, I am able to build Mk. III plasma seige modules on my spire corvettes even though I have only unlocked Mk. II plasma seiges (even if it is a bug, I have jumped at this opportunity ;)), and the MK. I module is not available to build. Also, some of the built in modular loadouts of the corvettes are unavailible due to some of the Mk. I modules not being buildable.

Modular forts have a similar issue, though not as severe.

I can get you a save later this evening.

EDIT: I can also post a Mantis if you want.

EDIT2: I also apologize for the rashness of my response about the planetary summary colors thing. I should of realized that you did actually see that case, and it was just an honest mistake that it got in.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:54:32 am by TechSY730 »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:02:37 am »
The module availability for non-champions seems a bit messed up. For example, I am able to build Mk. III plasma seige modules on my spire corvettes even though I have only unlocked Mk. II plasma seiges (even if it is a bug, I have jumped at this opportunity ;)), and the MK. I module is not available to build. Also, some of the built in modular loadouts of the corvettes are unavailible due to some of the Mk. I modules not being buildable.
I think that's normal for the corvettes:

MkI starship unlocks MkI module
MkII starship unlocks MkII + MkIII modules
MkIII starship unlocks MkIV + MkV modules

Because there aren't 5 marks of the starship (to Lancefighter's everlasting dismay) :)

EDIT2: I also apologize for the rashness of my response about the planetary summary colors thing. I should of realized that you did actually see that case, and it was just an honest mistake that it got in.
Don't worry, all posts where author=TechSY730 get run through a de-enthusiasm filter before a meaning is extracted ;)