Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.002 "Better Than A Stick In The Eye" Released!  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Winge

Re: AI War Beta 6.002 "Better Than A Stick In The Eye" Released!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 01:14:39 am »
I don't have a problem with the new eye types (well, beyond the fact that I hate all AI Eyes on principle)...but Planetary Tachyon Coverage on potentially both AI Homeworlds?  Does nobody consider those poor scouts when making these changes? :'(

I know that I will not necessarily get AI Eyes on both planets, but the RNG hates me.  Actually, all RNGs hate me, as playing XCOM has reminded me (seriously, how do you miss TWO 94% shots in a row?).
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:26 am »
Making eyes nastier just has the effect that if a guard post is under a heavy forcefield and most of the mobile forces on the planet are already dead you're screwed. In normal anti-eye action you won't trigger the eye anyway so the effect of going over does not alter the gameplay.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 04:37:20 am »
First time posting, long time lurker.  Love you guys, been buying up gift copies during every sale to try to help support this level of involvement with the users.

Anyways, I'm sure you're sick of new eye ideas, but I had a couple:

Peacemaker Eye: Like the Ion Eye, but can target everything except for fleet ships.  It would be a treat for those that are sick of just using starships to take down Eye Worlds.

Viral Eye: Sort of a combination of Sentry Eye and Parasite Eye as far as functionality, this one would start releasing Neinzul Viral Swarmers once triggered.  If you fail to stay under the threshold with this one, you could end up unleashing a zombie apocalypse of sorts.

Devourer Eye: When triggered, this one turns into a mini-cookie-monster.  Insta-kill melee-range attack with an average movement speed should turn the hunt for that last guard post into a frantic one.

Brainy Eye: When triggered, quickly starts leeching Knowledge from the planet, turning it directly into AI Progress at perhaps a 10K:1AIP ratio.  This one will hurt your endgame, making it very undesirable to just brute-force it.

Gravity Eye:
Not my idea, but I would love to see it.  When triggered, acts like a gravity drill that only affects human units or human-friendly units.

Anyway, thanks for making my favorite strategy game ever.  You guys rock! :D
Good ones
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 05:17:25 am »
Eye of Divine Retribution: Deals 30% (of the max HP) damage to any ship that attacks a capturable.

Yeah, I played too much La Mulana recently. Those things are goddamn evil.

Offline Labfiend

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 08:21:11 am »
Welcome to da forums!

Thanks!  Good to be here.  Been waiting to register until I had something useful to say.

The gravity eye sounds cool. The Brainy eye is interesting idea, but might need a more threatening-sounding name. Intelligence Eye or something.

Yeah, I'm bad at coming up with names and just wanted to post my idea before I forgot it.  Maybe Intel Eye?  As in it's gathering intel on your use of large fleets in order to defeat you in the long run?

Making eyes nastier just has the effect that if a guard post is under a heavy forcefield and most of the mobile forces on the planet are already dead you're screwed. In normal anti-eye action you won't trigger the eye anyway so the effect of going over does not alter the gameplay.

When I find it too hard to take out the Eyes the legit way (Stealth Guard Posts), I finds its usually possible to just bum rush the eye itself.  It's hard, but usually possible, to just dps down the thing before you take down enough defenders to trigger it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:28:34 am by Labfiend »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:44 am »
@Labfiend, welcome to the forums :)  Those are some interesting Eye ideas.  For now I'll probably leave the current amount of variety as-is.  There seems to be a more fundamental issue where some players are discontent if they can just blob every planet (which is why we added AI Eyes to begin with) but other players are discontent if they cannot.  Or, at least, if blobbing leads to triggering one of these eyes.  Possibly some players are discontent with both ;)

So will be thinking about that.  In the meantime there are some other, clearer paths forward to make losing more fun than ever before ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 11:51:50 am »
"Brainy" sounds like a monster from Dungeons of Dredmor xD
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 11:53:26 am »
Like a parody of mind flayers or something?

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »

With one of the hero/champions/whatever they're called named Abby Normal.

Offline Eternaly_Lost

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2012, 11:02:44 pm »
I don't know were exactly to report Wiki bugs, but the AI wars main page ( http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War:Fleet_Command ) still links to the 5.0 beta pages for the Upcoming and latest patch-notes.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »
I don't know were exactly to report Wiki bugs, but the AI wars main page ( http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War:Fleet_Command ) still links to the 5.0 beta pages for the Upcoming and latest patch-notes.
I found a link in the bottom navbar ( http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Template:AIWarRefNav ) to the 5.0 stuff and updated it to point to 6.0.  Was there another one?

The navbar also doesn't include the 4th expansion in that bit with the others, but it looks like the expansion page for LotS there was created by Diazo so I didn't want to just paste in a link to our page for AS in case there's some other formatting desired there.  Kinda funny that the community knows more about the official wiki than we do, but so it goes ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2012, 11:34:48 pm »
Heh.

I've just gotten started on the wiki today for the 6.0 updates.

And no, there's no formatting or anything on the page I created for LotS, it's a just straight copy paste. I had some grand (and vague) idea there that did not work out.

D.

Offline Eternaly_Lost

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 12:32:50 am »
I found a link in the bottom navbar ( http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Template:AIWarRefNav ) to the 5.0 stuff and updated it to point to 6.0.  Was there another one?

The navbar also doesn't include the 4th expansion in that bit with the others, but it looks like the expansion page for LotS there was created by Diazo so I didn't want to just paste in a link to our page for AS in case there's some other formatting desired there.  Kinda funny that the community knows more about the official wiki than we do, but so it goes ;)

Yes, near the very top.

Here a copy paste of the text from the very top of  the page. The Red text currently points to the 5.000 post beta wiki page.

Code: [Select]
AI War:Fleet Command
AI War: Fleet Command is a space-based RTS with incredible AI and the largest number of units (30,000+ in most games) of any game we know of. Up to eight players team up against two deadly AI civilizations in lengthy, multi-session campaigns spanning an 80-120 planet galaxy map.
More About AI War.
[color=red][b]Upcoming and latest patch-notes.[/b][/color]

Edit: Or what should be red text...

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 07:56:58 am »
Got it. :)

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 04:13:01 pm »
You can stop buffing now. YOU CAN STOP BUFFING NOW!
Now that I have confronted AI HWs without any superweapons except a champion, I think this applies. The pain...
I just beat my head against the impenetrable steel wall of the Homeworlds; It was a nightmare even with an excellent set of tools. And a new eye would eliminate most of them. Fortunately, even steel walls are not immune to warheads.

(I know I am asking for it, given the difficulty, but still. *shudder*)

I think I will cower behind the Imperial Spire fleet next game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:43:35 pm by Faulty Logic »
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.