Author Topic: AI War Beta 5.096-5.097 "Release Candidates 1-2" Released!  (Read 18756 times)

Offline LordSloth

• Sr. Member Mark III
Re: AI War Beta 5.096-5.097 "Release Candidates 1-2" Released!
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2012, 01:12:40 am »
Quick report from co-op test...

No major problems starting a game with a player lacking an expansion, seemed to be fine. There was something about a pink square of spire frigates or somesuch when I had the expansion enabled, but it refused to let me start the game, and it went just fine when I turned the missing expansion off in the lobby.

I through in-game chat I  was able to talk LT through the process of recreating the line place issues. It's nothing of a 6.0 priority, but the behavior is very very telling of some math behind the scenes that I'm not quite healthy or witty enough to visualize at the moment. But consistently reproducible with consistently manipulatable degrees of error highly indicative of x and y axis and geometry and whatnot.

Then we restarted and had fun.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2012, 01:30:46 am »
The pink square was me not having the expansion installed. There was some kind of bonus ship that was an available selection that I was able to see the stats of in a really weird way, but I couldn't see the sprite of the ship. The sprite was just a square. I also saw one of the AIs listed as "None Selected", but it was a random AI I guess when the game started. It was a Bully.
The line place issues were reproduced by me to his instructions, and I took lots of pictures of everything.

And then we had fun in what I guess is a relatively casual game of AI War with lots of special force chaos surprising me and all kinds of stuff I wasn't used to or expecting and apparently I get lots of big guns which obviously the person who's more confused gets big guns. Good thing there's no such thing as friendly fire.

Anyway, here's the lobby picture since that probably wouldn't be a bug report picture.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2012, 07:54:03 am »
Thanks for testing the expansion/co-op thing, the behavior makes sense and it did the main thing (letting the join-game action work, but not the start-game action) right :)  Not sure what to do about the pink square, as it probably shouldn't auto-disable the missing-for-someone expansions, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2012, 09:14:05 am »
Thanks for testing the expansion/co-op thing, the behavior makes sense and it did the main thing (letting the join-game action work, but not the start-game action) right :)  Not sure what to do about the pink square, as it probably shouldn't auto-disable the missing-for-someone expansions, etc.

Could you include the sprites inside the core game, so that it can at least pull the visual assets needed for the lobby in these situations?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:47 am »
FYI, 6.000 is out in patch form now; no game changes, just credits.  Chris said no need for a blog/forum post (various announcements are already coming/out on 6.0/AS) but I figured I'd drop a note here so anyone wondering why the version number changed would know why :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2012, 09:51:49 am »
FYI, 6.000 is out in patch form now; no game changes, just credits.  Chris said no need for a blog/forum post (various announcements are already coming/out on 6.0/AS) but I figured I'd drop a note here so anyone wondering why the version number changed would know why :)

I'll post this again once the 6.000 release post comes out, but I would like to say:
I think this is the best major release so far in the Unity engine era. Things feel balanced (there are some hiccups, but far less than most other games I have seen, and nothing that really hampers the overall feel of the game). The mechanics feel well thought out. How the mechanics (including, and especially, the optional ones) interact in amazing ways that also feel well thought out and don't disrupt balance. The AI feels difficult and punishing, but not overly so to the point of hurting fun or being unreasonable (at 6-8 at least, the "balance goal"). No massive, game breaking, "fun breaking" bugs (except maybe those annoying UI bugs, though from what I am gathering, it seems more of them are caused by Wine than by the game itself, so I only have myself to blame ;)) And the new backgrounds are amazing (though I did turn down the brightness of them some).

All in all. Awesome work!

And that wasn't even covering Ancient Shadows' content. ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:38:11 am by TechSY730 »

Offline Kronic

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2012, 09:54:39 am »
Well spoken Tech.

Well done on the release guys - I imagine you'll be looking forward to a well deserved short break soon? :3

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2012, 09:56:22 am »
Thanks very much! :)

All the kudos go to Keith during this period. :)  No short breaks for us, though -- we've still got Shattered Haven and Valley 2 going strong.  Having only two major projects inwork at once, rather than 3, will be something of a relief though!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kronic

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:06 am »
Man. "Only two major projects". You make it sound so easy. :D

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2012, 10:10:47 am »
Oh, it's definitely not that!  But it's a relief to get it down that low, at least. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
Does...does this mean it's time for an AI War - Current Post-6.000 Beta wiki page?
Apparently so. :)

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:44 am »
I've heard the joke that:
In C++ code, when you ring the doorbell the toilet flushes.
In C++ server code, when you ring the doorbell a toilet flushes in India.

At work I'm dealing with a Java server that is roughly at that level except the customer demands that when you press the door bell on a full moon it makes a toilet flush in India and if you do it while looking slightly shifty it flushes a urinal in China instead. And in practice if you ring five times it makes the sink throw up.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2012, 12:01:01 pm »
Does...does this mean it's time for an AI War - Current Post-6.000 Beta wiki page?
I was about to say that it doesn't surprise me that you'd find that page before I did, but then I checked the author column and realized you weren't TechSY730.  So just a fluke for you, I guess ;)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2012, 12:03:40 pm »
I was about to say that it doesn't surprise me that you'd find that page before I did, but then I checked the author column and realized you weren't TechSY730.  So just a fluke for you, I guess ;)

Actually, I found that page before it was posted here, I just didn't comment on it yet. ;)

Oh wait, I need to sign up for notifications on it. (Done)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2012, 12:12:27 pm »
Good to know you're still on your game.