Author Topic: AI War Beta 5.096-5.097 "Release Candidates 1-2" Released!  (Read 18769 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI War Beta 5.096-5.097 "Release Candidates 1-2" Released!
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 02:58:13 pm »
I'm in there in part thanks to the bundles of joy that are the Spire Stealth Battleships, the AI Beachheads and the Martyr Spirecraft.
That's a remarkable pain-to-suggestion ratio.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:21 pm »
I'm in there in part thanks to the bundles of joy that are the Spire Stealth Battleships, the AI Beachheads and the Martyr Spirecraft.

According to the patchnotes, I was the one to suggest the Botnet Golem. That alone makes my ratio of player power to suggestions ridiculous.  8)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
According to the patchnotes, I was the one to suggest the Botnet Golem. That alone makes my ratio of player power to suggestions ridiculous.  8)

While not explicitly stated, I'm pretty sure that my AAR is (at least partially) responsible for the transport out-of-supply attrition.

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »
Steam just decided to do this upon launching AI War. I had played the game two days before on this system (and was up to date with patching and had AS installed). This process of Steam's blew away the game, restoring it to 5.0 with the first three expansions. It also wiped out my profile, keys, and achievements. I do not know if it wiped my saves, as I have those automatically synced with an external program that would have put them back immediately had it done so.

Upon patching the game back up Ancient Shadows returned, which is a good sign (suggesting that it didn't delete anything, just replaced with the default blanks). Hopefully only I get this problem.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:59:22 pm by Volatar »

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »

While not explicitly stated, I'm pretty sure that my AAR is (at least partially) responsible for the transport out-of-supply attrition.

Oh the terrible things we have done to this poor game.   :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2012, 03:53:15 pm »
Steam just decided to dp this upon launching AI War. I had played the game two days before on this system (and was up to date with patching and had AS installed). This process of Steam's blew away the game, restoring it to 5.0 with the first three expansions. It also wiped out my profile, keys, and achievements. I do not know if it wiped my saves, as I have those automatically synced with an external program that would have put them back immediately had it done so.

Upon patching the game back up Ancient Shadows returned, which is a good sign (suggesting that it didn't delete anything, just replaced with the default blanks). Hopefully only I get this problem.

Holy cow!  I don't know of any reason that should have happened...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:46 pm »
Steam just decided to dp this upon launching AI War. I had played the game two days before on this system (and was up to date with patching and had AS installed). This process of Steam's blew away the game, restoring it to 5.0 with the first three expansions. It also wiped out my profile, keys, and achievements. I do not know if it wiped my saves, as I have those automatically synced with an external program that would have put them back immediately had it done so.

Holy cow!  I don't know of any reason that should have happened...

I've seen it before when a couple other games had major updates that changed their file structure. AI War hasn't changed (yet) though, so it is indeed very strange.

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »
I've seen it before when a couple other games had major updates that changed their file structure. AI War hasn't changed (yet) though, so it is indeed very strange.

My above statement is incorrect.

See this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31827873&postcount=9 and the news link linked within.

It turns out that what is happening is that Steam has transitioned to a difference based patching system. They have slowly been converting games over to this new system. They may have triggered the change over to AI War due to the upcoming patch.

Or they may have not and it's just me. I don't know.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:38 pm »
Ah, yeah.  They migrated us over to that, but the date I see on it is August 30th.  Not sure why that would suddenly strike you out of the blue.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »
Weird.

Well, no harm done.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 04:21:29 pm »
Your savegames were okay?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »
Little did Chris know that when he pushed that particular button on the steam build interface that players throughout the world would suddenly have their AIW installs run through a meatgrinder...

I've heard the joke that:
In C++ code, when you ring the doorbell the toilet flushes.
In C++ server code, when you ring the doorbell a toilet flushes in India.

But this is taking it a step further ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »
My favorite is still: C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/01/the-problem-with-c.html

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »
Your savegames were okay?

Yeah they were fine.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »
Whew!  Well, that's something at least.