Author Topic: 3.7 graphics bug & mantis bug tracker bug  (Read 6423 times)

Offline vonduus

• Sr. Member Mark III
3.7 graphics bug & mantis bug tracker bug
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »
I cannot report this bug properly, as I am getting an 'application error 2800' on the mantis bug tracker, no matter what I do. Bug reporting seems to have become rocket science these days, so please post a link to the mantis bug tracker tutorial. The old bug forum is locked, so here it goes instead:

AIWar 3.7: 1650x1080, win7-64, GTX 260.

On the splash screen, everything looks nice, with stars drifting etc. Ingame the 'moving' overlays are kind of gray and dirty looking, and not moving at all.

I tried full screen and I tried windowed mode, but it is the same both ways.

Attached two screen shots: One of the splash screen and one from ingame.

The big difference is that the grayish stuff on the splash screen photo is actually moving (take my word for it), creating an illusion of drifting stars (very nice). While the grayish stuff on the ingame photo is just what it looks like on: Ugly grayish non-moving stuff ;). This is not a matter of my subjective aesthetic likings, but a clear case of something that is not working as intended.

I have several more issues I would like to tell you about (perceived general game lag, difficulty in selecting and deselecting stuff, trial mode not responding to expansion serial keys etc.), but I shall refrain from spamming the general discussions forum with a lot of individual bug reports, and instead await the fixing of the bug tracker.

edit: Now it seems I can report stuff with attachments properly in mantis, so I shall repost this in the bug tracker.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:57:05 pm by vonduus »
If you miss the alert, you die. If you get the alert, you die. Summa summarum: You die. (Kierkegaard on CPAs)

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
Re: 3.7 graphics bug & mantis bug tracker bug
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:50:51 pm »
it seems, to me at least, that the starfield ingame is far too bright... perhaps its because its all greyish instead of black?
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:53:11 pm »
Can you try again on the bug reporting tool?  It should work now, if it was related to my attempts to get email notifications working better on there...

As for the images you show, both of those are correct -- there are over 39 different kinds of starfields, and that's just two of them.  Actually, 39 different kinds of layers combine in groups of 3 each, so it's really over 1500 different distinct permutations.

In-game, the starfields only move very slightly in the background, except when you scroll the view; I'd get complaints out the wazoo if I made it always scroll around a ton. ;)

Let me know if the bug tracker isn't working for you still...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline vonduus

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »
Oh shite, then it turns out to be a subjective aesthetics issue anyway. Well, to me it looks like dirt ;).  But if you think it looks nice, well, you are the boss. I like the moving stars however, how about making them optional ingame? Or perhaps just making the background darker, as Lancefighter suggests?

And the bug tracker is working allright now. How do I attach more than one attachment to a bug report, if this is needed?
If you miss the alert, you die. If you get the alert, you die. Summa summarum: You die. (Kierkegaard on CPAs)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »
Well, it is dirt. Space dirt. ;)

The idea is that every background looks different.  Some are darker, some are lighter, etc.  Bear in mind that "in game" won't always look like that.  It's just that one specific planet at that one specific save.  Overall, only about 30% of the planets would likely look anywhere near that bright, but most are darker.

Glad the bug tracker is working now, but I'm not sure how to submit multiple attachements.  I just increased the memory allocation for php significantly, so maybe that will help?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline vonduus

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 11:54:56 pm »
I opened some new games, and they all had real nice backgrounds, even without stars moving. Another related issue is, when I zoom in, everything is nice and crisp, but when I zoom out, the icons get blurry on the edges. But really, I am not in it for the graphics, so I won't report that.

And on multiple attachments: Now I think of it, I could just put them in the same zip file.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:33:12 am »
I opened some new games, and they all had real nice backgrounds, even without stars moving.

I'm glad!

Another related issue is, when I zoom in, everything is nice and crisp, but when I zoom out, the icons get blurry on the edges. But really, I am not in it for the graphics, so I won't report that.

That's a known issue here, and hopefully temporary: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/21782/how-to-properly-set-up-quad-positions-for-2d-with-an-orthographic-camera

And on multiple attachments: Now I think of it, I could just put them in the same zip file.

Yeah, it's a hassle, but that certainly would work at least.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk