Author Topic: Planet Map Overview Question  (Read 731 times)

Offline Mephology

• Newbie Mark II
Planet Map Overview Question
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
I was wondering if there was an easier way to see a summary of what things do at a planet that you do not currently have a scout at?  As a new player, I cannot look at the galaxy summary and understand what each of the items in the map mean. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get to the information about what the item is from the galaxy map.  Take for instance the Post[Grav R] from the attached planet summary screen shot. I have no idea what this does since it is my first game encountering it. My scout died almost immediately after getting to the world, so I do not have a list of buildings at the side of the world as you can see from the second screenshot. Googling Post[Grav R] turns up nothing useful. I have to now hunt through the individual models on the world to find something that looks like it might be Post[Grav R] to understand what that is.  Once I find that I can now see the information about that. This entails hovering over each item and zooming in on each section to make sure the model is not hidden by something behind it, I stumble upon something that looks right. Especially fun is that depending on your zoom level, the item might or might not look like the item on the planet summary.  Is this intended behavior?  This is a really time consuming and frustrating process as a new player.  The best way I have found to find out what things are at the planet is to send a batch of scouts into the planet, even if they are being insta-killed, you have a few seconds to pause the game during which the items on the side of the map are populated, even after the scouts are dead. If you pause the game during this timeframe, one is easily able to read about the items on the planet in a consolidated fashion.

A similar thing happens with fabricators. A mark V fabricator mentions the ship type that it makes, but I have to then go search through the wiki to find out more about the ship type since there is no easy way to access the in-game information about the ship from the fabricator. The information is all there in game, it is just really difficult to access for a new player coming into the game.  I am very thankful that the game can be easily paused and run in a window, because I am reading the wiki nearly every time I have to take a Mark IV, Core world or encounter a fabricator.  Especially as I play against new AI types and add in new game options. It seems like the interface is really designed with experienced players in mind who already have a ton of internal knowledge about the game or maybe I am just missing something obvious.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: Planet Map Overview Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »
Making units that are "chained" (a broken golem to their full golem, a fabricator to the unit it produces) have a tooltip that gives the corresponding ship below the actual unit tooltip would be nice. Check out the Spirecraft constructor tooltips for a good example of this logic; this logic needs to be "ported" to these other cases as well.

Anyways, if you can see the structure on the actual planet view (due to that planet being previously scouted), it seems reasonable that the side bar should show it as well. It would greatly simplify checking out planets.
I think it would be clear that the sidebar is not showing everything because it is clear you do not have full vision on that planet yet.

Both of these would actually make good feature suggestions on mantis.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
I think the sidebar should show a picture of everything that is on the planet, but should not show the numbers of anything if there's no scout there. Scouts, then, are revealing in the same way, but you don't have to go mousing over every. Individual. Building. I've had this same issue as well.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:35:38 am »
Summaries are fine the way they're now. If you want to learn them you will. Easily. I've never even played any tutorials.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!