Author Topic: Activating Existing License Keys With Steam  (Read 16234 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Activating Existing License Keys With Steam
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:06:52 pm »
Now that we're live on Steam, and Steam has some Steam-specific online features (not due to favoritism, but because they are the one with an API and server setup of the sort that can provide that), some players may wish to have a Steam copy of the game instead of a copy from whatever platform they previously bought it on.

Never fear! I am assured that you will be able to enter your license keys into the "Activate a product on Steam..." wizard (under My Games in the Steam client), to get a Steam key if you've already bought the game somewhere else.  Likewise, the Steam copies of the game include a regular AI War license key (which, despite what the Steam client tells you on first run, you don't have to enter in-game).  So if later you want a fully DRM-free copy of AI War, it is available to you even if you buy the Steam version, which is tied to the Steam client like most other Steam games (for reasons of online functionality, in this case, not copy protection).

Here comes the BUT.  At the moment, not all of the license keys are going to work for activating your existing copy in Steam.  I'm told that all the keys should work within a few days.  So you can try entering your license key into the Steam client, and it's possible it might work even right now, but there are perhaps better odds that it will not.  I'll post an update here when I have more information about timeframes and so forth on that aspect.  I hadn't wanted this part to lag after the initial release, and I don't think Valve did either, but so it goes -- not something I can control.

27/10/09 ---
Revenantus:

It appears that all license keys can now be used to activate the Steam version of AI War and allow you to make use of the Steam only features. :D

Please let us know if this is not the case for you.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:55:33 am by Revenantus »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
Re: Activating Existing License Keys With Steam
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:09:43 pm »
Here comes the BUT.  At the moment, not all of the license keys are going to work for activating your existing copy in Steam.  I'm told that all the keys should work within a few days.  So you can try entering your license key into the Steam client, and it's possible it might work even right now, but there are perhaps better odds that it will not.  I'll post an update here when I have more information about timeframes and so forth on that aspect.  I hadn't wanted this part to lag after the initial release, and I don't think Valve did either, but so it goes -- not something I can control.

Guess I'm one of those people. Wondering why it wasn't working ::)

Offline Inglonias

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:10:33 pm »
Me too. Ah well. Congrats for going live on Steam. Shame its 25% off now. :(

Ah well. $5 more for you to keep up the good work!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:10:42 pm »
Here comes the BUT.  At the moment, not all of the license keys are going to work for activating your existing copy in Steam.  I'm told that all the keys should work within a few days.  So you can try entering your license key into the Steam client, and it's possible it might work even right now, but there are perhaps better odds that it will not.  I'll post an update here when I have more information about timeframes and so forth on that aspect.  I hadn't wanted this part to lag after the initial release, and I don't think Valve did either, but so it goes -- not something I can control.

Guess I'm one of those people. Wondering why it wasn't working ::)

Yeah, sorry about that.  I tried.  And they did, too, for that matter.  But this afternoon/evening has been... busy, to say the least.  For them and me.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline darke

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:14:30 pm »
Just tried it with my Impulse key from way back and it doesn't work yet.

No doubt they'll update this page when it's up and running: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601 :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »
Just tried it with my Impulse key from way back and it doesn't work yet.

No doubt they'll update this page when it's up and running: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601 :)

Probably so!

Offline Inglonias

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:46:29 am »
It doesn't work for me yet. Can anybody else use their keys yet?

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 12:44:20 pm »
Not yet, I try every 6 hours or so.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 03:38:35 am »
It doesn't work for me yet. Can anybody else use their keys yet?

Nope. Still says "Invalid Key".

Offline Inglonias

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »
Still nothing. Its been almost a week here...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 05:31:14 pm »
I know.  I have been bugging Steam about this every business day, as well.  That's all I can do from my end, unfortunately.

Offline Inglonias

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »
Alright. Keep it up. It'll happen eventually, and if not, you get another $20 from me.  ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 06:55:49 pm »
Alright. Keep it up. It'll happen eventually, and if not, you get another $20 from me.  ;)

It should happen, and it should be "soon."  I just don't know what those quotes mean, precisely... ;)

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 02:26:53 am »
I can happily confirm that Steam now recognizes my license key and activates AI War.

If others could confirm whether their keys are recognized it would be appreciated.

Offline Seacow

• Carnivorous Marine Bovine Leviathan
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 05:37:46 am »
Yup, same here. It's working for me :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk