Author Topic: 1.010 Teleporting Engineer sound bug, and repair bug  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Admiral

1.010 Teleporting Engineer sound bug, and repair bug
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:37:44 pm »
Hi X,

On 1.010, I have a ton of teleporting engineers (thanks to my parasites *evil cackle*). They are almost invariably left in free-roam defender mode parked in some unobtrusive "corner" of the map.

On a few planets, from time to time, I hear the "teleporting and repairing" sound of the engineers non-stop, yet all my engineers are simply sitting there in their "resting" spot. This becomes very annoying and I can't seem to figure out what gets it to stop, but usually it does eventually stop.

Additionally, I have never seen an Engineer II or III (in 1.010) do a repair on a moving ship. If I want ships to be repaired, I have to stop them. (N+9+rubber band, END, I love the new key presses.)

N.B.: I love having dozens of Engineer III's from my parasites. This is not a bug and I highly encourage you (in all seriousness, as I really mean this) not to "fix" this.

Finally, suggestion: Please make it so I can do (e.g.,) N+1+2 to select all Mark I and II. That would really help to weed out the Ion Cannon chaff. Additionally, it might be helpful if the Ion Cannon icons would display their level. Oh, and why not reclaim P for something else by using the PAUSE button instead? (Well, aside from the fact my MacBook Pro has no PAUSE button, of course.)

Thanks!

Offline darke

Re: 1.010 Teleporting Engineer sound bug, and repair bug
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:39:10 pm »
On 1.010, I have a ton of teleporting engineers (thanks to my parasites *evil cackle*). They are almost invariably left in free-roam defender mode parked in some unobtrusive "corner" of the map.

Yeah, it's a nice trick.

Also works well with the munitions boosters. Though kills the frame rate.

On a few planets, from time to time, I hear the "teleporting and repairing" sound of the engineers non-stop, yet all my engineers are simply sitting there in their "resting" spot. This becomes very annoying and I can't seem to figure out what gets it to stop, but usually it does eventually stop.

These enemy or player controlled planets?

I've encountered this pretty regularly, especially with Teleport Turtle AI's on maps with massive defense forces, or me with masses of offensive forces. It seems the AI has an injured ship right in the center of a mass, none of the teleporters have a long enough range to repair it so keep bamfing around until they find the position.

Also seems to be affected in offensive teleporting ships as well, though it's hard to tell, when they're teleporting around trying to find a "good" space, yet the never find one in appropriate range or something.

Additionally, I have never seen an Engineer II or III (in 1.010) do a repair on a moving ship. If I want ships to be repaired, I have to stop them. (N+9+rubber band, END, I love the new key presses.)

I've definately seem them happen before 1.009, but I can't recall in 1.010 since I've been testing lots of odd things rather then actually playing. :) Usually notice though simply because it's so comical watching them bamf, start repairing, ship moves out of range, they bamf, they repair, ships move out of range, repeat. :)

N.B.: I love having dozens of Engineer III's from my parasites. This is not a bug and I highly encourage you (in all seriousness, as I really mean this) not to "fix" this.

It gets rather ludicrus at times though. I've got some notes at home on this along with a pile of other stuff from an 8-planet start game that I encountered that seems a bit off, and I think I've got some way of making this still rather neat, but blunting the over-powered nature of it early on. Will post them when I get the mess of notes sorted out. :)

Finally, suggestion: Please make it so I can do (e.g.,) N+1+2 to select all Mark I and II. That would really help to weed out the Ion Cannon chaff. Additionally, it might be helpful if the Ion Cannon icons would display their level. Oh, and why not reclaim P for something else by using the PAUSE button instead? (Well, aside from the fact my MacBook Pro has no PAUSE button, of course.)

You'll very quickly get into problems with n-key rollover due to the way most (aka cheap) keyboards handle the keyboard matrix. Most keyboards can't handle more then 3 or 4 keys pressed at once, and at least one of those being a crtl/alt/shift key. If you're wanting to go that far, "n" will probably have to be swapped to being ctrl or something. :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:33:11 pm »

I suspect that they are still positioning themselves, or one is flipping out to do a repair and then back.  I haven't observed this, but if you can get a savegame or if anyone knows steps to duplicate, I'll definitely take a look.

They will repair moving ships, but they have a hard time doing it.  All engineers have some trouble repairing moving ships, with with the greater repair range it should be less of an issue for the teleporting engineers.  Glad you like the new key presses! :)

Cool stuff, I definitely don't plan to "fix" that. :)

For the multiple keypresses thing that you are talking about there, I think that I can do that based on the way that I am doing key handling, but we'll see.  Darke is correct in what he says below, but I think my method will mostly sidestep that.  If you start getting "spotty" recognition of holding something like N+1+2+3+4 or something, you'll know why!

The Pause button is used for other things in windows, and doesn't reliably actually pause the game when enabled.  It only sends every second keypress (sometimes not even that) to the winforms application hosting the game.  Kind of odd.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:43:28 pm »

I suspect that they are still positioning themselves, or one is flipping out to do a repair and then back.  I haven't observed this, but if you can get a savegame or if anyone knows steps to duplicate, I'll definitely take a look.

I'll definitely post a save if I encounter it again. Don't forget my brother Revvy talked about a similar thing in another thread.

Cheers!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:57:55 pm »
Okay, cool.  And yeah, I think his was the cloaked Mark III enemy engineers.  So once that other tweak is in, maybe this will be a non-issue.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk