Author Topic: Wormholes changed positions after update?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Gilith

Wormholes changed positions after update?
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:50:55 pm »
I've just returned to my several months old save, and noticed that wormholes are not where they used to be.
I place most of my stationary defences around the wormholes, so it's easy to notice. The galaxy map layout is still the same AFAICT.
I assume that's related to recent updates (I'm running 7.056, Steam version).

Is it possible to revert to older version? I'm expecting Fallen Spire exo strikeforce in about 1 minute, and cross-planet attack in 4 mins... without the defences it's gonna hurt :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Wormholes changed positions after update?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »
Sorry about that; short story is that you're probably doomed :)

The long story is that all these years wormhole positions (and resource-spot positions) have been re-generated from a random seed when the game was loaded, and thus were susceptible to moving if something changed in the mapgen algorithm.

During the development of the newest expansion it became inevitable that this algorithm would change (because it became possible for new wormholes to be added to the map, or removed from it, during the game), and that's why you see what you see.

The silver lining is that now wormohole and resource-spot positions are saved with the game, and not re-generated each load, so this probably won't happen again :)

As far as reverting, I'm not sure how that could be achieved right now, unless the installers from our site (or elsewhere that doesn't just give you steam keys) are still on version 7.001.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk