Author Topic: Steam version not running, can't access licence keys & unlock non-Steam.  (Read 20938 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Steam version not running, can't access licence keys & unlock non-Steam.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 08:15:01 pm »
Another thought: you can try turning off automatic updates and putting th game into windowed mode in the settings in the game on the laptop. Then if you copy that over, see if there are any different results.

Also, do you have your paging/swap file disabled? Sometimes on some machines that can cause programs to act oddly once you hit about 70% ram usage. I have my swap turned off, but only since I upgrades to 24gb of ram. On 8gb of ram there was no question of it. I ask because unity thinks you have no swap enabled, but it's often wrong about that.

As Keith said, good luck with the thesis!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »
FWIW I'm running 8GB RAM with no pagefile, and I'm often pushing 6GB allocated without the games going that far nuts on me.  But yes, we have had people report issues which seemed to come down to the lack of a pagefile.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:54:07 am »
FWIW I'm running 8GB RAM with no pagefile, and I'm often pushing 6GB allocated without the games going that far nuts on me.  But yes, we have had people report issues which seemed to come down to the lack of a pagefile.

My main problems with a lack of pagefile, personally, were with After Effects lately.  When I start hitting about 18GB of usage during a render, my computer starts flipping out and denying ram to programs that need it for some reason.  It's only when After Effects is using like 14+ GB of ram on its own, though.  Just setting its ram cap lower fixed the issue for me, and actually using all my ram has never been a problem.

So it may only be when a program is requesting inordinate amounts of ram at once relative to the size of the ram available, and then the freak-out happens.  After Effects was requesting well over half my ram, and doing so in a matter of a few seconds, and so windows may have been over-allocating or something.  The last people I heard of with no-pagefile problems with one of our games had I think 3GB of ram or less, so most of our games would use about half of that ram on their own, after running for a while.

I don't know, it's a theory. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 10:09:04 am »
Haha, yea, I can certainly see computers saying "you want how much RAM?"
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:22 am »
Haha, yea, I can certainly see computers saying "you want how much RAM?"

"Dude, seriously, didn't you say 640k was all you wanted?  That's enough to do video editing, seriously guy."

Offline Unacosamedarisa

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 08:52:19 pm »
Haven't had much time to look into this until now, but I managed to track down and fix the issue... was with Unity and a corrupt font, UNCL.ttf in my case. I just got downloading Wasteland 2, which uses Unity, and the beta of which I played back in June, no issues and no major changes to my system since then. Tried to boot it up, got the initial splash screens and logos, and then straight back to desktop with the same error message as AI War gave me, same folder named the date and time, and same error messages. So, I figured the issue was with Unity itself, and not just the specific game. I probably have quite a few Unity games, and now I've got some free time, I'll probably want to play some of them. Googled the main error messages, and went through some posts about others having a similar issue. Deleted the font file, and AI War and WL2 load fine now.

Just in case anyone else has the issue, the error log had "AIWar.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)" and then UNCL.TTF was at the top of the stack. If you do have something similar, apparently windows likes to hide font files, even with "Hide protected system files" unchecked. Google around and there's solutions for using cmd line to make them all visible.

Edit: I attached the error stuff to the first post, so you can look at that for an example of the messages.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:13:32 pm by Unacosamedarisa »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »
WOW -- that is so super strange, and that is so awesome of you to find that and post the solution.  I never would have guessed a problem like that.  Thank you very much for posting back!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk