Author Topic: Pre Sales Questions  (Read 2329 times)

Offline 2XL

• Newbie Mark II
Pre Sales Questions
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:10:37 pm »
Hi.  I just found the AI War game on Steam.  Where has this game been all my life?????  The demo is awesome and I want to buy the game and expansions.  I also really like how the developers are a small company and interact with the users on the Arcen Website.  I also like Arcen's philosophy on DRM.

I have a few "pre-sales" questions...
1) If I buy the game and expansion packs on Steam, does steam send me the game key via email?  Do I need to then install the game via Steam or could I just download the game via the Arcen website and use the key provided by Steam?  I'd prefer to buy the games on Steam to get the keys but then not use Steam to install or run them.

2) Can I install the game on my PC and Mac with the same Keys?  I would only be using one at any given time but I like to switch between the two machines depending on what else I am doing.

Thanks!!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Pre Sales Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »
Hi! Welcome to the forums.

I'll answer your second question first, and the answer is yes, absolutely. You can use the same keys to play on any computer you own.

As for the first one, they won't send you the keys via e-mail, that much I know. I'm not sure if you can get the keys from steam before installation, either. I'll have to find that out for you.

Offline 2XL

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:20 pm »
tigersfan-
Thanks for the fast response!  Let me know about the keys with Steam.  Are you a Tigers fan as in Detroit Tigers?  I'm also a Detriot Tigers fan.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 01:57:46 pm »
In terms of the keys that Steam grants, I'm pretty sure you can find that for any game in Steam prior to installation just by right-clicking it and hitting View CD Key or something along those lines.  I'm on a slow connection right now and so can't test, but it will give you the keys in that fashion if you like.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline 2XL

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:05:39 pm »
I looked in my steam account and don't see where I can find the CDKEYS for any of my other games.  I'm wondering if Steam isn't setup to tell you the CDKEY.  The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning to remove Steam from my computer and don't want to buy any more games that are locked into using Steam.  Thanks.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »
Yeah, I'm not seeing it on any of my games either. I know you can do it like that with Impulse, but, I don't know how w/ Steam. Are you aware that you can buy the game directly from us and totally bypass Steam? Or was there a specific reason you wanted to buy it from them?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:35:58 pm »
Perhaps I'm seeing something different than other folks, but when in steam I:
- on the top bar, click on "Library"
- on the games list along the left side, click on "AI War: Fleet Command"
- on the "Links" list along the right side, click on "CD Key"

It pops up a box displaying my key for the base game and all 3 expansion keys.

I don't think you have to have installed the game for that to show up.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline 2XL

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »
Perhaps I'm seeing something different than other folks, but when in steam I:
- on the top bar, click on "Library"
- on the games list along the left side, click on "AI War: Fleet Command"
- on the "Links" list along the right side, click on "CD Key"

It pops up a box displaying my key for the base game and all 3 expansion keys.

I don't think you have to have installed the game for that to show up.

I dont see that "CD Key" option for any of the games I've purchased on Steam.  Did you buy your game on Stream or did you buy the game somewhere else and then add your CDKEYS to steam?

Offline 2XL

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »
Or was there a specific reason you wanted to buy it from them?

I have credit on Steam and want to use it.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 09:09:07 am »
Not every game has cd keys, so that's part of it. It would only be an option for those that do. It definitely is for ai war, but the question is if that pops up before installing the game or not, and that I'm not sure about.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:06 pm »
I can confirm I have CD Keys for AI-War listed on Steam even without installing the game (since I actually never installed it from there).

Offline 2XL

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:51:27 pm »
Thanks for all the help with this question. 

I purchased the game and the expansion packs on Steam and as was mentioned by orzelek, Steam will let you see the CD keys prior to installing the game. 

Now for some gaming fun..... :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk