Author Topic: Odd flicker of graphics  (Read 10679 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Odd flicker of graphics
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 07:02:16 pm »
Thank you!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 07:06:16 pm »
No problem thank you for all your time with this if I can figure out anything that seems to be causing it I will make a Mantis ticket about it for review, but I would not be sure what to put now, hope everything goes ok for you, have a nice week!

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 10:04:36 pm »
I can confirm I am seeing it to but is not consistent at all. One time it was with raid star ships then when I reloaded it stopped. I tried it with V Sync on noticed no difference also tried a higher profile makes no difference also for the science labs number or exhausted bouncing thing, it always seems to do this once in awhile I am pretty sure it happened in version 7.001 some times but I cannot remember. The flickering is very rare now and it seems random in far zoom or close to far zoom. It also does not do it all the time so its kind of hard to explain. I just wanted to confirm I am seeing it too. I also set my refresh rate to 0 to see if that made a difference it does not but like I said its random well to me it seems to be random.

Edit: I also tried loading an older game at first it did not do it at all and then I exited and reloaded and only a few ships flickered so like I said its not consistent. I have noticed that when you start the game the game seems to load the planet icons only when you select the planet for the first time I also noticed this with other icons as well. I think this is because its loading them from the disk they appear in about a second or so. Also after they load this does not happen until you exit AI War and reload for the planet icons. I also have not played much since version 8.017 and on that version I do not think this happened but I did not play it much as I was playing The Last Federation more at that time.

Mr Fleet, thank you. You just confirmed I'm not going mad. As I was playing with settings and zoom levels and trying to see what would eliminate the problem, I found that it would...go away...and come back and I could not see why. Certainly makes diagnostics a tricky affair, but I'm glad it's not just me.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
No problem I just started playing AI War again I was playing The Last Federation new expansion pack for the past few days I also know that in version 8.017 everything seemed to work like you said. Also Icon grouping does not seem to make a difference now, like when I tried higher than zero on those older versions it flickered like it used to, but now setting it at zero does not seem to help but it does not always flicker it seems to be random now also kinda of rare at times.

Edit: I also did not notice it right away when I stated playing I would see it on and off but it always seemed to stop so at first I kinda thought I was seeing things too, also when I zoomed out farther or zoomed in really fast sometimes it seemed to stall or hesitate when I zoomed in too fast this only seemed to happen when I first started the game after a while I did not notice the slight hesitation when I zoomed in or out fast. I think it was still loading some items from the disk.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:34:28 pm by Fleet Unity »

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 06:03:07 pm »
I really have nothing new to report on the icon flicker, it happens sometimes and at times it does not, but I also noticed sometime when ships are firing you see a black box when a weapon is fired this would indicate that maybe a graphic file is missing or something. This rarely happens I have only seen it a few times and I am not sure what ship or ships shots is causing it or if it is even ships firing at all I just thought I would post it here.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:16 pm »
I really have nothing new to report on the icon flicker, it happens sometimes and at times it does not, but I also noticed sometime when ships are firing you see a black box when a weapon is fired this would indicate that maybe a graphic file is missing or something. This rarely happens I have only seen it a few times and I am not sure what ship or ships shots is causing it or if it is even ships firing at all I just thought I would post it here.

Also for this black box thing it may have been a graphic tear as I had v sync off at the time when I turned it on, I have not noticed it anymore so it may have been that, but for the icon flicker its too random to really see a cause so it may just have something to do with how the icons are now not combined, but you rarely see it at icon grouping zero so it may not be that, also even if you change the icon spacing from the new default zero to a higher setting you will see the icon flicker more.

Edit: I did see the black box with the v sync on its very rare I am also not sure what is causing it, it seems to be when ships fire but it is always different it may have something to do when the graphics are loading when you select a planet when you first change your view after loading the game it seems to take a while to load the icons on a planet when you first select it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:31:25 pm by Fleet Unity »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk