Author Topic: Odd flicker of graphics  (Read 10678 times)

Offline Bud Backer

Odd flicker of graphics
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:01:17 am »
I've observed a peculiar flicker in the graphics in planet view.

At first it seemed as of the ships, when fully zoomed out, were jumping back and forth. This is more distinct when zoomed in, when I had too low energy and so had numbers overlaid on all units. Then, it was the numbers that kept hopping one way and back again. It's only a few pixels but it's quite distracting!

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Re: Odd flicker of graphics
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »
Yep. I've been having this too.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »
Yep. I've been having this too.

But it's new, right? I don't remember this from before 8.014.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
Are you referring to only in far zoom?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
Are you referring to only in far zoom?

No, it's not only far zoom, even when I zoom in somewhat I see some jumping around, though fully zoomed in it is no longer apparent.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:23:37 pm »
Is this about "boxed overlay text style" that is used for things like energy usage of a ship when energy is low or cooldown after move timers of fortresses and mobile space docks, and how they can "jump around" a bit when not zoomed in enough to make the "close" sprites appear?

If so, then I've seen that ever since, well, the switch to the Unity engine.

I've found that if you zoom all the way in to the ship or structure having the issue, wait a bit for everything to load, then the problem is fixed for that unit type even if you zoom back out.
If this "workaround" works for the issue you are describing, then we are likely talking about the same issue.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:30:30 pm »
Is this about "boxed overlay text style" that is used for things like energy usage of a ship when energy is low or cooldown after move timers of fortresses and mobile space docks, and how they can "jump around" a bit when not zoomed in enough to make the "close" sprites appear?

If so, then I've seen that ever since, well, the switch to the Unity engine.

I've found that if you zoom all the way in to the ship or structure having the issue, wait a bit for everything to load, then the problem is fixed for that unit type even if you zoom back out.
If this "workaround" works for the issue you are describing, then we are likely talking about the same issue.

Perhaps there are two issues. The one you describe is one of the ones I was reporting, but the other is that ships clustered together seem to flicker and hop around slightly.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 04:08:56 am »
When you are in far zoom and ships icons overlap they flicker as it is trying to draw both of them on top of each other so you see it transparent, this is the best way to describe it. It may have something to do with the removing of the sort ship textures option I never used it but it almost like it is “on” now if I am not mistaken that’s what could happen if you used it. I know this never happen before this option was removed. Not sure if that was the cause or not. Also this does not seem to happen when you are zoomed in and can see the ships textures, or not that I could see.

Edit: It is not just far zoom its anytime you can see the ship icons in your player color or another player and the icons overlap each other.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:16:46 am by Fleet Unity »

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »
Odd sometimes the graphics flicker and sometimes it does not. I tried this with and without v sync on and at times only a few ships icons will flicker and sometimes none even if there a lot of ships in a group.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 03:19:08 pm »
Hmm, did any of you have "sort ship textures" on before the change to remove the option went in?
I wonder if the game still honors this setting if present in the settings file, but just no longer shows the option to enable/disable it.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »
Hmm, did any of you have "sort ship textures" on before the change to remove the option went in?
I wonder if the game still honors this setting if present in the settings file, but just no longer shows the option to enable/disable it.

No I did not I thought of that too but I never even used that option before at all.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 09:43:17 am »
I also tried starting a new game and it does it on there as well, depending on what zoom you are in. It appears to only happen if ships overlap and even then it does not always make their icons fickler and if you zoom out a little it seems to stop. Only the icons will flicker not the ship graphics if you are zoomed in to them.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »
It appears to only happen if ships overlap and even then it does not always make their icons fickler and if you zoom out a little it seems to stop.

I observed this as well. It does seem to happen primarily when there are overlapping ship icons.

Offline The Hunter

• Full Member Mark II
  • H/K Mk5
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:29:49 pm »
Actually noticed it too in last game, "fighting for who is going on the top" happened between some units of same type to say.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 12:28:28 pm »
Actually noticed it too in last game, "fighting for who is going on the top" happened between some units of same type to say.

Yep that is what you could call it. It looks like it only happens if the units are all the same like you said now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:32:30 pm by Fleet Unity »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk