Author Topic: Occasions freezes in game and really slow performance with large fleets  (Read 12889 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Occasions freezes in game and really slow performance with large fleets
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2014, 12:13:10 pm »
Sweet, that is awesome news!  Glad to hear it. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline blackied

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:43 am »
I've been bogged down the last week with RL issues as well as starting a new job today, so I haven't had a chance to get fire this up yet. Will let you know when I do, really hoping the good news comes my way as well.  :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 11:06:54 am »
No worries, and I hope you get a break in your schedule soon just for your own sake. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:22 am »
Unfortunately, I had a freeze in game today. It's taken a lot more time to occur so I think the situation is better, however I had a freeze finally, that required a force quit.

No big event going on,at the time, small fleet, no battle.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
Unfortunately, I had a freeze in game today. It's taken a lot more time to occur so I think the situation is better, however I had a freeze finally, that required a force quit.

No big event going on,at the time, small fleet, no battle.

It was a freeze that didn't leave the menu and whatnot on, though, right?  That's an actual crash, or more likely an out of memory error.  If you can post any error logs (not dump files), that would be appreciated.  I can't remember how much RAM you have.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 11:11:26 am »
That's right, while I could see the game nothing worked. The game clock stopped, and all I saw was the spinning beach ball move as my mouse cursor but no menus or anything. In other words, game is on-screen but totally unresponsive.

I've checked for crash logs and I haven't found any - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? 

My System specs:

MacBookPro Retina
Quad-Core I7 2.7 Ghz
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GT650M 1 GB Ram

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 11:13:08 am »
There should be a log file at ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

However, it gets overwritten if you have started the program again.  There may also be logs with interesting stuff inside the RuntimeData folder inside the game install folder.

At any rate, the problem you described very likely has nothing to do with the general stuff in this thread, but is some sort of other error, FYI.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:01 pm »
Yes, I certainly restarted the program since the crash, several times in fact. Darn, had no idea the log gets wiped like that upon restart.

Ok, if its not related to this thread, do you need me to start a new one, is there something you think you can do, where do I go from here?

Which logs from Runtime Data would you like? And how do I submit them privately - I think IP addresses and folder names with my personal info are listed in them?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »
You can email the logs to arcengames at gmail dot com if you want, but there isn't any personal info or IP addresses in any of the logs.  It does have computer specs, but that's about it.  Any logs in runtimedata are useful for telling what is going on.  If it is an out of ram thing, then that is something that we may not be able to do anything about, but we'll see.  It's hard to say what it is right now.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2014, 12:32:21 am »
Some files have my name in them, so I've sent you a PM.

Thanks!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »
Got it, no problem.  Yeah, the name thing will happen if your username is your real name on OSX, I hadn't thought about that.  Just because it's using file paths, and your username is in all file paths on that particular platform.  This doesn't apply on windows, or with non-real names (or simply first names) on OSX or linux.  I just have my osx name as "Chris," so I don't think about it.

Anyway. ;)

We took a look at the files, and it was a crash relating to a number formatting issue.  Which is very odd because it really isn't the sort of thing one would expect.  It's something in the GUI, and may have been some sort of one-off glitch.  Definitely nothing to do with the graphics pipeline or performance at all.  Based on what we were seeing, there wasn't really any clear indicator of what it might have been caused by (the stack trace was vague).  If you wind up seeing it again, please do let us know, but I think it's a really rare thing at worst.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2014, 08:32:18 pm »
Got it, no problem.  Yeah, the name thing will happen if your username is your real name on OSX, I hadn't thought about that.  Just because it's using file paths, and your username is in all file paths on that particular platform.  This doesn't apply on windows, or with non-real names (or simply first names) on OSX or linux.  I just have my osx name as "Chris," so I don't think about it.

Anyway. ;)

We took a look at the files, and it was a crash relating to a number formatting issue.  Which is very odd because it really isn't the sort of thing one would expect.  It's something in the GUI, and may have been some sort of one-off glitch.  Definitely nothing to do with the graphics pipeline or performance at all.  Based on what we were seeing, there wasn't really any clear indicator of what it might have been caused by (the stack trace was vague).  If you wind up seeing it again, please do let us know, but I think it's a really rare thing at worst.

It's happened about 2 times in about 10 hours of play, if that gives you an indication of frequency and severity.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2014, 09:03:20 pm »
Hmm.  If you have any ideas on what you are hovering over tooltip-wise when it happens, that might be helpful.  Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk