Author Topic: Multiplayer only GC crash  (Read 1040 times)

Offline MSCowboy

Multiplayer only GC crash
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:33:54 am »
My friend and I are back for some coop fun in the new expansion. We've played in various earlier states of the game, always with success in the end after varying amounts of fiddling.

Before it was always the network that needed to be sorted out before, but this time I just keep crashing. The error is of the fatal variety in GC, something that appears common with lots of very old posts about it and no solutions. I have never touched Kaspersky.

I'm hosting the game. My friend can't host due to various circumstances. We can connect (directly over internet), chat and play without lag or drop-outs or disconnecting. But then I crash. It can happen an hour in, or it can happen while we're sitting in the lobby choosing a map. Once he connects to me, a crash is inevitably around the corner. We tried in version 6 and then went to the optional beta updates up to 6.018 and they don't make a difference.

I don't crash when playing alone. I've played a fair bit by myself with the game running up to 5 hours at a time with no problems.

As it stands the game is unplayable in coop for us, and thanks to GC being the error this game throws up for everything that ever goes wrong apparently, I haven't been able to dig up anything useful in the mountain of posts about it, many of which are 2 years old or more. Any help?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Multiplayer only GC crash
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:39:15 am »
Hmm.  We have had reports of this kind of thing.  On the other hand a lot of people play co-op and don't have this problem.  Either way, I've investigated but been unable to reproduce the problem at all in my own MP tests, which precludes a direct fix since I can't find the problem. 

It makes me wonder if there's something particular to some MP setups that causes Unity to just log tons and tons of stuff, to the point that those logs cause out-of-memory errors (which is what a GC error generally means; it's not as all-purpose as it sounds).

Do you have any logs in your RuntimeData directory from the co-op games?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MSCowboy

Re: Multiplayer only GC crash
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:26:01 pm »
The debug log in that location only has several copies of this, which doesn't look too important, though they do seem to coincide with the times we were playing:

(harmless note, this file is optional) ExplosionNoiseSuppression.txt not found (checked path J:/Steam/steamapps/common/AI War Fleet Command/RuntimeData/ExplosionNoiseSuppression.txt)

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Boolean IncludeStackTrace, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at GameSettings.PrepareFGObjectTypesWithDisabledExplosionSoundsList()
   at GameSettings.GetDoesForegroundObjectTypeHaveExplosionSoundSuppressed(ForegroundObjectType ObjectType)
   at ForegroundUnitTypeImmutable..ctor(ForegroundObjectType Type)
   at DatabaseContent.Update(Int32 Step)
   at Game.ContinueInitializeGame()
   at Game.ContinueMultiStageProcess()
   at MainCameraLogic.MainUpdateLogic()
   at MainCameraLogic.Update()

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk