Author Topic: moving my mouse causes the game to freeze  (Read 12512 times)

Offline Tzyx

moving my mouse causes the game to freeze
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:42:02 am »
hey folks, wondering if you have any suggestions for me to fix this problem. Pretty much, if i move my mouse, the game stops until i stop moving my mouse. The sound carries on, and i think the game is still ticking away in the background, it just doesn't update the graphics until i stop moving my mouse again.

I;v tried playing with all of the settings, using a different mount, reinstalling my mouse program (i have a razer mouse), changing the polling rate on my mouse, iv got the latest version of my gfx card drivers (i dont have this problem with any other game, i have a nicely specced computer). the game seems to run perfectly well when my mouse isn't moving, it just stops dead when i move the mouse. I'v reinstalled the game to another HDD (via steam) and I'm kinda at a loose end as to what to do now.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: moving my mouse causes the game to freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:58 am »
That's.... Incredibly odd. This game has been out and being updated since mid 2009, and this is the first report we've ever had of something like this. That really makes me think there is something really strange going on with your computer, but I don't have any idea what that could be. I would have tried the same things as you with the drivers and the mouse switch and so forth. I would do a verify of the steam files in case the game was not completely downloaded.

Also, I'd check in the runtimedata folder inside the install folder to see if any error lots are being written; if so, we'd definitely like those.

Hopefully that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tzyx

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:51:45 am »
Hi, actually managed to fix it with something i found on a steam forum somewhere.. i ran the game as administrator from the executable rather than through steam, and it works fine.

sorry about that, maybe this will come in handy for anyone else with the problem. not sure what caused it in the first place though.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:04:12 am »
No worries at all, but that's definitely super strange. Maybe a but in the new version of the steam overlay since it works without that up. Thanks for posting the solution!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tzyx

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:36:31 am »
no probs, thanks for the awesome game :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:08 am »
My pleasure -- and thanks for the kind words. :)

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
I've run into something similar that I never bothered to report because it is not Arcen's problem, it has to do with adminstrator rights and mouse utilities.

I run a 5-button mouse that I've custom bound the keys on that change based on which program I run. (It is actually quite amazing which random keys some programs do and don't support.)

However, when I run the AI War update, the UAC pops up and the patch runs the update with administrator rights. After the patch process is finished, if I leave the "Start AI War" automatically checkbox checked, when AI War restarts, it runs with the administrator rights I granted the patch program, not my usual user rights and this screws my mouse utility over and my keys are all wrong as the 'protected-space' administrator rights runs in does not let the mouse utility detect what I am running.

It is a simple fix to just run AI War manually after a patch (so it uses my usual user rights) and there's nothing you guys can do about it, but it is more weirdness caused by the same administrator rights issue that started this thread.

D.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:55 am »
Wow, that's definitely strange also -- thanks for putting the note here in case anyone else runs into that!

Offline thguyy

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »
Thanks on solution.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk