Author Topic: Mac, freezes on load up screen  (Read 13314 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Mac, freezes on load up screen
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »
I'm really sorry about that, and I really appreciate your letting me know in return.  They just want everything to go through their app store so they get their cut. :/
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 04:11:36 pm »
For decades, sysadmins have known that the only truly secure server is the one that's not running.

Apple is just applying that logic to software.

"If it can't do anything, then it can't do anything undesirable."
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jnaftali

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 11:55:15 pm »
Heyo. Having the same problem with the version of AI war downloaded from humble bundle - freezes on gameinit 8 when the game is trying to start. A few additional pieces of information:

1. Disabling gatekeeper does not fix this issue (disabled it from the command line, issue persists)
2. This error pops up many times in the Unity log (~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log) when I try to start the game:
Fallback handler could not load library /private/var/folders/ss/_ykx_pwn3mb6rkck1jfmkdd00000gn/T/AppTranslocation/951F717F-C289-400B-8A2B-348B937DAEF3/d/AIWar.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libCSteamworks

After it moves on from that one, This next error shows up (again many times in a row)
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Game.ClearEntireGame (Boolean ResetPlayers, Boolean ResetEverything) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at LobbyOptions.SubclassPreShow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AbstractArcenWindow.PreShow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.ContinueInitializeGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.ContinueMultiStageProcess () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MainCameraLogic.MainUpdateLogic () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MainCameraLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: 4294967295)

You can find the entire log here (probably could have truncated it, but decided against it) - https://gist.github.com/JNaftali/2f5525e0cd6955850b4b9989d5c92332

Help would be appreciated!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 09:33:59 am »
Yep, it's still the same issue.  If you ever see the text "AppTranslocation" in the wording, then you know it's royally hosed.

It's the equivalent of me taking your car out of your garage, putting it into a leaky bag at the bottom of a lake, and going "okay, now drive to work!"  Sure, the car will start, but it's not going to run for long, and it's sure not going anywhere.

That's precisely what GateKeepr is doing here: it's "translocating" the game to some randomized other folder, denying access to the real folder it resides in (which I can't find from the bottom of the lake anyway), and then the game starts having seizures of errors thanks to missing all its data files, images, settings files, and more -- which all got left behind.

The trick is to get OSX to stop putting your car in the lake.  :-\
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline jnaftali

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 09:40:27 am »
Ok... but Gatekeeper is disabled (from the command line, but going to system preferences now shows the previously unavailable 'allow apps downloaded from: anywhere' option is checked).

If doing that and running the app from my home directory isn't enough, what's the next solution?

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:22 am »
Did you try reinstalling the program once gatekeeper is disabled? I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how Gatekeeper works, but it's possible that it's affecting the actual install process; if so then disabling gatekeeper after the install won't help because the game was already installed in a broken state.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:06:34 am by BadgerBadger »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 10:09:23 am »
I think you have to drag the application folder to any location OTHER than your home folder or your application folder.  Beyond that, it's all google-fu, to be honest.  Apple has really messed things up with this one.  A number of programs are fine because they put everything in the .app bundle, and they save your savegames and settings over to your user profile. 

But one of the nice things about our games has always been that you can always just slap the install folder on a thumb drive and instantly have everything with you that you need in order to play.  No DRM, no fuss, easy peasy.  For the first 8 years, anyway, and on all the other OSes; then Apple has thrown this one at us.

I haven't seen any widespread reports of people not being able to work around gatekeeper's translocation with this.

Offline jnaftali

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 10:32:42 am »
Did you try reinstalling the program once gatekeeper is disabled? I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how Gatekeeper works, but it's possible that it's affecting the actual install process; if so then disabling gatekeeper after the install won't help because the game was already installed in a broken state.

What install process? I downloaded a zip file with all this stuff from HumbleBundle and unzipped it. I never 'installed' anything

For the record, I have no idea where on my computer you think the app is supposed to run corrcetly. Running the `Contents/MacOS/The\ Last\ Confederation` file from the command line allowed the app to start.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 10:43:24 am »
I think he meant unzipping it again.  I think the process may be:
1. Download (no need to do that again).
2. Copy zip to an Apple Approved folder.
3. Unpack there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk