Author Topic: Mac, freezes on load up screen  (Read 13322 times)

Offline whyaminotallowedmyname

Mac, freezes on load up screen
« on: March 07, 2018, 03:38:31 pm »
I just got the AI War game from the Humble Bundle monthly thing and it freezes on startup on the "Gameinit 8" screen.  I saw this error in the forums from years ago, but I don't see an answer anywhere.

I have a Mac 2x2.66ghx 6 core Intel Xeon, 16GM ram, running 10.13

And as long as I'm here:  I downloaded Starward Rogue from the same place and it just gives me a black screen. 

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Mac, freezes on load up screen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:07:37 pm »
Hi there!

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having.  Most likely it is a matter of the program not having rights to itself, IIRC.  Simply copying the unzipped folder from where you downloaded it into any other location than your Apps folder would solve it.

Some background info:

------------------------------

Basically, the problem here is GateKeeper on OSX, and a feature called "GateKeeper Path Randomization" in particular.  GateKeeper is doing such a "great" job at this that it actually completely prevents the application from finding itself or any of its files, and from writing any direct logs to disk, too.

Apparently there may be a super simple fix to this, though!  If, through Finder, you copy the folder for AI War to any other location other than Downloads or Applications, then it may just start working.  This particular feature of GateKeeper is apparently triggered in the new versions of OSX specifically when an application is downloaded from a web browser and then uncompressed, and then possibly dragged to the Applications folder or possibly just run from its current location.  Applications being downloaded through Steam or the Mac App Store don't have this issue.

For some more info relating to this: https://github.com/potionfactory/LetsMove/issues/56

Here's perhaps an even better source, although it's much older an interestingly talking about Sierra and not High Sierra: https://eclecticlight.co/2016/06/16/macos-sierra-will-break-many-installers-and-updaters/

----------------------

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lannius

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:51:16 pm »
I'm having this issue as well.  I installed via Steam.
I tried moving (via Finder) the app install folder all over the place.  To my home dir, to Desktop, etc...

It still hangs and drives CPU to the ceiling.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:12:54 am »
Yikes!  Sorry about that.  If it's through Steam, it shouldn't be the case that you need to move it at all.  My first suggestion would instead be to do a verification of all the local files, just to make sure Steam downloaded everything properly; sometimes it borks a few files, causing strange issues.  But the other issue really should not be a thing through Steam.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lannius

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:25 pm »
I verified it, it's all ok.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:09:02 pm »

To clarify, does that mean it works now, or it wasn't a case of borked files?

If it's still not working, then any error messages that are logged in the RuntimeData folder inside your steam folder would be helpful.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:35:21 am »
I did not install through Steam, I downloaded through that Humble Bundle service. 

I copied it to another folder, then I copied to a whole other drive. No difference. 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:02 am »
Are there any error messages that are logged in the RuntimeData folder inside the game folder?

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 10:22:42 am »
I see no error or crash log in there.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 11:07:20 am »
Gah, sorry about that.

How about here?  ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

I believe that's where it should https://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documentation/Manual/LogFiles.html

Offline Lannius

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:43 pm »

If it's still not working, then any error messages that are logged in the RuntimeData folder inside your steam folder would be helpful.

I meant that it verified ok.

But actually, for some reason it's working now.
I do not know why.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:06 pm »

I meant that it verified ok.

But actually, for some reason it's working now.
I do not know why.

Ah, I see.  Probably it verified ok and in the process changed something.  I've seen that happen before.  Glad it works now for you, anyhow!

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »
From the error log: 

03/07/2018 17:52:40 (8.024)
-----------------------------------Error-----------------------------------Log String: Load error: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory '/private/var/folders/63/qx_zv2_j3v7d1dlznwstggv80000gr/T/AppTranslocation/17778F11-6340-436D-A710-7BBD944A46E1/RuntimeData/Music/Ingame' not found.
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.PopulateMusicLists () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.GameForm_Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.ContinueInitializeGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Stack Trace:   at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.PopulateMusicLists () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.GameForm_Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Game.ContinueInitializeGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Runtime/ExportGenerated/MacStandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 04:03:25 pm »
Okay!  That answers the question, then: it is 100% being caused by the helpful security feature of GateKeeper.  See that path "'/private/var/folders/63/qx_zv2_j3v7d1dlznwstggv80000gr/T/AppTranslocation/17778F11-6340-436D-A710-7BBD944A46E1/"?  Basically, Gatekeeper on your machine copied the game there as soon as you launched it, but it ONLY copied the .app file, and it also made that location read-only.  So not only can we not write the settings files, but all the things outside the RuntimeData folder are legitimately absent.

Copying the folder is supposed to make Gatekeeper no longer do this.

I'm not sure if this helps?  http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istcontrib/Allow+application+installations+and+temporarily+disable+Gatekeeper+in+OS+X+10.9+and+up

Basically if you can get Gatekeeper to whitelist the game, then it will run fine after that.  If you find a solution, I'd be super grateful to know what it is, since this is a relatively new problem with the High Sierra updates, and people are still figuring this out.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »
Oh man, Mac makes me dislike it more every year.  You can't even set "open apps from unidentified developers" without going into the command line now. 

I'll let you know if I figure this out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk