Author Topic: How to manually update the game?  (Read 79934 times)

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
How to manually update the game?
« on: November 17, 2010, 08:39:07 am »
Is there any way I can download the beta updates manually? :(

Basically, I'm stuck on 4.021... a lot of really nice people tried to help me on the IRC but my auto-updater simply doesn't work.

I didn't think this would be a problem, but apparently everyone is on the beta and that means I can't play multiplayer. That's primarily why I bought the game. T_T
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:34:06 pm by x4000 »
Time travel in the classic sense has no place in rational theory, but temporal distortion does exist on the quantum level, and more importantly it can be controlled.
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Offline Winter Born

Re: Manual Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:21:21 am »
from X4000

Meanwhile, if you want the raw zip files, you can get a list of them here: http://www.arcengames.com/dl/AIWarBetaUpdates2.xml

Simply unzipping them into your game folder in order would give the desired result if you want the betas that way. Hope that helps

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:15:22 am »
Which ones should I get? The Top three? I'm a bit confused. O_O
Time travel in the classic sense has no place in rational theory, but temporal distortion does exist on the quantum level, and more importantly it can be controlled.

Offline Winter Born

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:45:27 am »
Sorry for your trouble on this.

if you are at 4021
then unzip 4029 into your game folder (basically replacing by overwriting)
then  unzip 32 into your g f
then 36

You need to do it in order so that you end up with the correct versions of all files at the end.

Did you look at some of the other "updater not working threads" to see if there was an answer to your issue?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:48:03 am by Winter Born »

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »
Well, I tried what you told me and it didn't work. (I tried 4029 and it didn't change the version number)

But then TyberZann downloaded the steam version of the game (4.021) just to play with me! He is adorable. :D

... aaaand it turns out my connection is so bad it causes the game to play at 25% speed at the lowest profile.

So I suppose this update problem is moot; I can't play multiplayer anyway. Thanks for the help though. T_T

Also:
Quote from: TyberZannn
could you make a request on the forums for the admins to send me the forum activation code from a private email? non-standard accounts are blocked on the server so the @arcengames.com or whatever is probably what it is, Hazard did that to get me on Achron

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:19:24 pm »
Now that's not necessary. For some reason the e-mail just got through.  ;D I don't know why now and not before though.  ???

Offline Winter Born

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:55:14 pm »
Now that's not necessary. For some reason the e-mail just got through.  ;D I don't know why now and not before though.  ???

Ok welcome to the forums.
I''l see if I can get someone more knowledgeable to give Kron a hand.

X4000 is tops.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:28:00 pm »
For the unzipping, updating to 4.029 would indeed fail to update your version number -- I take the executables themselves out of the older patches to avoid versioning issues.  So all you would get is the non-code parts of the game (images and xml files, mostly).  

These are noncumulative patches, so you have to apply them one after the other, and at the end of that you apply the last one and it includes the code and updates you properly to the last version.  If you just skip to the last one you'll have the code, but you'll be missing various graphics that will instead then show up as pink squares (or you'll have old versions of graphics, as the case may be).

Incidentally, if your connection is really slow that might be why the automatic updates aren't working for you -- the downloads from our web host seem to fail after 2 minutes per file when downloaded through the game itself.  That's something we're working on with them, but we're on virtual "cloud sites" hosting so that may be iffy to get changed.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: And, by the way, thanks so much Winter Born for being so helpful in this thread! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:37 pm »
Just to ask, will these patches work with the Steam version of AI War?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »
Just to ask, will these patches work with the Steam version of AI War?

Absolutely.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:12:31 am »
It works!

Thanks everyone! <3

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: How to manually update the game?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 12:34:15 pm »
Awesome! :)

Offline SRombauts

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 06:11:24 pm »
I've just made a bug report about quit the the same issue I have :

"Steam version with a first update to beta version unable to detect any more updates" :
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=1460

So I reinstalled the full game on monday (buying The Zenith Remnant in the process)
- 4.021 + extension
- then updated with three files this time to the beta 4.033
- now I am stuck with this one

The manual ZIP update worked for me and bring me to 4.037 :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:18:23 pm by SRombauts »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:18 pm »
Manual Method 2 (For OSX or otherwise)
If you're having trouble unzipping the files, never fear -- there's a tool that will do that for you. 

1. First what you'll need to do is download the various updates that you'd like to apply.  Again, you can get those here: http://www.arcengames.com/dl/AIWarBetaUpdates2.xml

2. Normally you would just unzip those, in order, into your AI War folder.  But if that's giving you trouble (such as on OSX), then instead take the files and put them inside the RuntimeData/updates folder in your AI War installation directory.

3. Rename the files to just VersionNumber.zip.  So for instance if you download version 4.032, with a filename of AIWar4032.zip, you need to rename it to 4032.zip in the updates folder.

4. Once all the files are in place, create a new plaintext document called "updatelist.txt" in that same RuntimeData/updates folder.

5. Inside this document, put the version numbers all on one line, separated by a single space between each version.  Put these in the order that they should be applied, so ascending order.  In other words, the same order you'd put them in when unzipping them by hand.  An example document might look like this, with a single line saying: "4032 4033 4044" to apply 4.032, then 4.033, then 4.044, for instance.

6. Once both updatelist.txt and the actual zip files themselves are in place, go back to your main directory for AI War and run AIWarAutoUpdater-windows.exe or AIWarAutoUpdater-osx.app, depending on which platform you are on.  The auto-updater does NOT download anything, it simply unzips the files you have already downloaded based on the updatelist.txt file.  Normally the game itself does the downloads and creates the updatelist.txt file, but if you do it by hand the autoupdater can't tell the difference (so long as you do it right), and will save you the trouble of unzipping if that's being problematic.  For most people, unzipping by hand is faster, though.

Offline TParis

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 08:38:56 pm »
Any way to get the manual final (non-beta) updates aswell (like 5.004)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk