Author Topic: FIREWALLS - Configure, or use VPN  (Read 19081 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
FIREWALLS - Configure, or use VPN
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:54 pm »
If you want to host a campaign of AI War, you'll need to make sure that your machine is accessible to the other players.  The simplest way to do this with most firewalls/routers is to set up port forwarding for the lone UDP port used by AI War (you can see and change that port in the Settings tab of the game).

If you are unable to configure your firewall for whatever reason, consider using a free
VPN solution like Hamachi, which is free for personal use:  https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

If you're playing with people you don't know, however, we strongly recommend that you just open a firewall port.

Note that usually clients do not need to open any ports, only the host does.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:40:42 am by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aaron the Grizzly Bear

Re: FIREWALLS - Configure, or use VPN
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »
Hi Chris! Let me just say I really love your game; I think you're really a genius.

Anyways I recently moved away from my friends and have been attempting to play multiplayer from far away. I am familiar with port forwarding and use it to play multiplayer on other games (minecraft, etc.). I have also used Hamachi to play multiplayer. Since I moved to my new place, however, AI Wars will no longer allow me to host or connect to multiplayer games. I have tried both port forwarding and Hamachi, and they will not work with AI Wars. Minecraft, and my VPN for work are functioning fine, only AI Wars (as far as I can tell) is having this issue. Do you have any suggestions for this issue? Thank you for your consideration. This game is really amazing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk