Author Topic: Game freezes and goes black.  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Awod

• Newbie Mark III
Game freezes and goes black.
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »
Decided to start playing some more AI War since its been a while but am encountering a bit of a problem.

It seems to happen every 1 -2 hours of game play and ends up with me having to restart. The screen goes black save some scattered pixels but music seems to continue and loop, any attempt to alt-tab ctrl-alt-del alt-f4 fail so I have to restart.

I do have an output log dated recently so it may have something useful hidden in there. Anyways, that's all I can think of that may prove useful but naturally I'll try answer any questions you may have.

Awod.

(On most current beta.)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Re: Game freezes and goes black.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
This can be caused by many things including out-of-date drivers, your video card is overheating (how do other games perform over time?), power requirements not being met for the video card when gaming, driver conflicts, and there's always the question of, can you give us a hint? Are you using multiple monitors? Are you in SLI mode(multiple video cards)? What is the specifications of your machine, and what is your video card temperature running at when you are playing? Have you tried a different resolution?

Need more hints.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Awod

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »
Sorry for the vagueness.

Single monitor: 1920 x 1080
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 TI
CPU: Core2Duo E8500
RAM: 8 gig ddr2

Video card driver is up-to-date. Power is fine I've run many games with my build with no issues and while I haven't monitored temps I have had no problems playing current-gen games like Battlefield 3 for expended periods of time.

Edit: Idle temps are:

GPU: 31c
CPU: 36c

Will post under load in a bit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:40:15 pm by Awod »

Offline Awod

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:30:21 am »
Sorry for the vagueness.

Single monitor: 1920 x 1080
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 TI
CPU: Core2Duo E8500
RAM: 8 gig ddr2

Video card driver is up-to-date. Power is fine I've run many games with my build with no issues and while I haven't monitored temps I have had no problems playing current-gen games like Battlefield 3 for expended periods of time.

Edit: Idle temps are:

GPU: 31c
CPU: 36c

Temps are about 6-10 higher with AI War running.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:55 am »
There is actually a more detailed log file you can enable.

In the game settings, under the Advanced tab check the 'Enable Advanced Logging' checkbox and note the file path at the bottom where it says 'Game Data Directory'. I think it defaults to '\AI War\RunTimeData\"

Next time the game crashes, goto that directly and see if there is an UnhandledErrors.txt or ErrorsReportedByEngine.txt and post those please.

D.

Offline Awod

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:10:33 am »
Just an update. Tried to watch something on youtube and it happened again which made me look into it more and I did find something on the Nvidia forums. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=227457

Still not sure what causes to it happen but it is apparently a known issue with the most current driver for the 560 TI ( The 296.10  ). There is a beta ( 301.24 ) out that seems to be working for people, just installed we'll see how it does.

Will update again after trying it for a while but figured I'd post since I had more information and just in case somebody else ran into it.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:35 am »
That's excellent, thanks for the sleuthing!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk