Author Topic: Fonts distorted when larger screen resolution than 1024x768?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
UPDATE:  If you have upgraded to version 1.004 of the game, this issue is fixed.  If you still have any trouble, that is a separate issue (please report it).  But we are not aware of any remaining issues at this time.

If you are having issues with fonts (as well as some other graphics) looking fuzzy or blocky when running at a larger resolution than 1024x768 (or one of its widescreen variants), there is now a fix available.  I was only made aware of this issue this morning, since it does not appear to affect all users (depending on the font smoothing options on your OS, and your specific resolution, this might be a non-issue).

The fix will be available in this coming week's free DLC release (Tuesday or Wednesday), but for now if you'd like a prerelease version of that patch, you can grab it here:  http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWar1004F.zip

Then unzip it into your game folder (usually C:\Program Files\Arcen Games\AI War\ unless you specified something else).  Please make sure that your unzip process keeps the folder structure from the zip file, rather than just unpacking all of the files into the base target directory.  This is a cumulative update, so as long as you have at least version 1.000 of the game installed, this will update you to the latest version (1.004F) without any issues.

The fix in this version basically consists of no longer scaling the graphics up at all on larger resolutions, which makes them all look a lot cleaner, albeit smaller.  If the size is an issue, there is now an option in the game settings dialog for turning the scaling back on the way it was before this version, but that will still have the font artifacts (which vary in severity depending on your machine and OS settings, etc, as I mentioned before).  I imagine that the scaling should be something that most users won't want to turn on anyway, since if they are accustomed to a higher resolution, the fonts in the game will probably match the font sizes on most other applications they are running.

If this is still an issue for anyone who uses the new version, or if there is some other configuration combination I've overlooked with this, please do let me know.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:58:03 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk