Author Topic: Help (*What are folks using for Hamachi-like connections?)  (Read 13468 times)

Offline creepersick6780

Help (*What are folks using for Hamachi-like connections?)
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:30:58 pm »
I need a tutorial on how to get my friend to join me in multiplayer. I have been trying to fix the problem for hours with hamachi and other various things. We are a few states away so LAN is not a option. It would be great if nothing is too technical in your comment. Please help!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:03:37 am by x4000 »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 03:10:05 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry for the slow response, it's the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.

Hamachi may be inferior to COMODO, at least in the opinion of some folks: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=2308.0

You can use port forwarding rather than either, if you want: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,8496.0.html (also http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=8627.0) (also http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=15050.0, actually)

Some folks get things mysteriously resolved after fiddling around with their settings, it's not always clear what they did but here are my general tips: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=8657.0

From much further back, some other tips: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=1567.0

Hope one of those helps!  If they don't, and there's any other info you can provide, please do let us know.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Regdren

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:00:43 am »
Hi, do you happen to know where one could download the Comodo connection service? The direct link in the old thread doesn't seem to work anymore, and when I looked through Comodo's free products I couldn't seem to find anything that offered similar services to Hamachi.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:03:15 am »
Hmm, I'm not sure -- they may have discontinued it, I'm not sure.  I'll adjust the title on this thread to solicit what other folks are using for connections...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline motai

Re: Help (*What are folks using for Hamachi-like connections?)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:13 am »
i kinda recommend a new network emulator called evolve. it emulates a local network over the internet with only invited parties. you have to sign up for an account but it has been hassle free for me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:08:08 am »
Nice, thanks for the tip!

Offline pxld1

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:57:59 am »
My friends and I have success with a program called Tunngle (http://www.tunngle.net/en/).  It's free as well, so may be another option worth considering Creeper

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:57:12 pm »
I highly recommend port forwarding proper. It solves so many issues and saves you from having to muck about with third party software.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 09:59:39 am »
I highly recommend port forwarding proper. It solves so many issues and saves you from having to muck about with third party software.
I second this. Unless you have some sort of arbitrary multiple routers setup, you only need to find one id/password to get access to the port forwarding menu, which is almost certain to be on the router somewhere. (if its not, you can find the defaults on the internet and reset the router to make it so.)

Offline motai

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:21:26 am »
i like port forwarding however i like many likely do not have access to our routers because our isp has provided the modem and maintains the settings so they can do remote resets.
there are many third party solutions to this. steam for that matter has tools to do it too but i havent kept up on programming enough to realize how difficult their server solutions are to implement in the game. i have noticed many (even most) games choose not to go thru steam hoops and write and host their own server code. while i do love this game it is classed as old style since its network options still are mainly based on basic p2p and local instead of using a unified remote hosting/server system. on the other hand i very much appreciate that the game doesnt cost more to support matching systems that rarely get used given the play time of each game.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:30:15 am »
i like port forwarding however i like many likely do not have access to our routers because our isp has provided the modem and maintains the settings so they can do remote resets.
there are many third party solutions to this. steam for that matter has tools to do it too but i havent kept up on programming enough to realize how difficult their server solutions are to implement in the game. i have noticed many (even most) games choose not to go thru steam hoops and write and host their own server code. while i do love this game it is classed as old style since its network options still are mainly based on basic p2p and local instead of using a unified remote hosting/server system. on the other hand i very much appreciate that the game doesnt cost more to support matching systems that rarely get used given the play time of each game.
Wait, you can't even access basic functions in your modem/router such as port forwarding? That's...rather douchy of your ISP. Nowadays I run my own router, but even back when I had an ISP-supplied modem/router combo I had at least basic access to local functions, even though admin-level stuff was off limits. You sure you don't have at least basic user access to it?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:34:21 am »
Wait, you can't even access basic functions in your modem/router such as port forwarding? That's...rather douchy of your ISP. Nowadays I run my own router, but even back when I had an ISP-supplied modem/router combo I had at least basic access to local functions, even though admin-level stuff was off limits. You sure you don't have at least basic user access to it?

I do not on my cable modem/router combo, either.  Time Warner Cable.  However, the admin passwords are widely available on google, so in fact even though I "don't have access," I actually do.  I turned off wifi and turned it into one big DMZ mode, and then use my own router to actually manage things the way I want.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk