Author Topic: AI Wars (Mac OS X) update crashes  (Read 3525 times)

Offline YourBestFriend

AI Wars (Mac OS X) update crashes
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »
I just bought this game today for steam and it said 3 updates. Before it finishes all 3 updates the game will crash and I will have to download them all over again. Only problem is that it will always crash. If I open the updater tool the game closes and it doesn't open also it won't open from the directory as well.

I figure I need the update to work for the steam summer sale achievement because I got the 300,000 energy and nothing happened.

Any help before July 10 would be great!

Thanks in Advance

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI Wars (Mac OS X) update crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:15:53 pm »
You actually don't need the updates in order to get the achievement for the energy.  But be sure that you aren't using cheats or a positive handicap for yourself when trying to get the achievement, or it won't unlock them for you.  If you're not seeing it as unlocked in the game, then that's why. 

Beyond that, if you see the achievement as unlocked in the game itself but not on Steam, then probably Steam was having a connectivity issue; make sure that you're not in offline mode, and you may need to restart Steam if there's still a problem.  Also make sure that you launch AI War from the Steam client and not directly, or else the Steam overlay doesn't get hooked in (OSX only for that last).

For the updater, on OSX if you want the betas you'll have to update your updater.  See this post.  The direct link is here: http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWarAutoUpdater-osx.app.zip

However, Steam will update your game automatically the next time an official version comes out, so you don't have to muck around with the updater if you don't want to.  The betas aren't required for this achievement or for general play.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline YourBestFriend

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:12 pm »
Alright thank you. Do I get the achievement if I start with multiple home planets?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:42:52 am »
I think you do, but I can't remember for sure. Safest bet is to try it without.

EDIT: From comments on the Steam forums, it's clear that multi-planet starts are fine. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:39:56 am by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline YourBestFriend

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:42 pm »
Thanks for all your help. I went ahead and did it with one home planet last night XD

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:56:33 pm »
Good stuff!

Offline Powelly

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:36 am »
I got the game today and when i clicked the 3 updates the game crashes. I tried the http://www.arcengames.com/share/AIWarAutoUpdater-osx.app.zip
but when i opened the updater and clicked install it came up with
"there has been an error. Error reading file /Volumes/Users/gpowell/Desktop/RuntimeData/updates/updatelist.txt
The application will exit now"

Any help would be great thanks

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:56 am »
You want to replace your existing updater in the ai war install folder with that autoupdater, then run it -- looks like you ran it from the desktop, based on the error. Hope that helps!

Offline Powelly

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30:44 am »
Thanks it works now

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:23 am »
Awesome! :)  Glad I could help.

Offline Ovall

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 12:06:48 am »
I'm getting an error message that reads as follows (I'm on Mac os X Snow Leopard):
There has been an error.
Error reading file /Users/HJV/Downloads/RuntimeData/updates/updatelist.txt
The application will exit now.

can someone please direct me to the solution? and if I'm even doing this right?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:03 am »
When that error happens, that means that the game hasn't downloaded the update info -- most of the time that's a sign that the updater was run directly, rather than from in the game.  If you open up the game, and then click the big button talking about the new updates being available, then it will download the zip files, create the txt file in question, and launch your updater program, which will then unzip the zip files noted in the txt file.  The problem right now is that if the updater tool is run on its own, it looks for the txt file and there's no such thing because the game didn't download anything.

Hope that helps!

Offline Kell

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 05:46:51 pm »
I updated to 5.013 the other day but didn't run the game after the updater. I just tried to load it up through steam, and its just giving me a blank white screen. No error messages, it just quits responding. On OSX 10.6.8. Currently verifying files, but curious if anyone else has had this happen.

Edit: Game launched fine outside of steam. After patching up to 5.014 game ran again under steam. Odd.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:56:17 pm by Kell »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »
Very odd indeed -- glad it's working now, though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk