Author Topic: AI War - Linux installer  (Read 30664 times)

Offline Zitterbacke

• Newbie Mark II
Re: AI War - Linux installer
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 10:29:55 am »
I've tried a lot today, to no avail, dotnet3.5 setup always crashes on me, whatever approach I chose.

Offline Ranger Rick

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:49 am »

Install dotnetfx35.exe thru wine. Slim msi and AI War msi thru msiexec.

Good luck... you will need it.

Hah!  Well, it mostly worked (I was able to get all the way through the install) but it's pretty much unusable on OSX.  It has some major drawing issues where backgrounds draw over controls and other crazy stuff.  Gonna give it a shot in Crossover Games 8rc1 to see if they maybe have tweaked anything, but my hopes aren't high.

That said, this is *much* farther than it went last time, so things are definitely improving.

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 04:48:40 am »
It has some major drawing issues where backgrounds draw over controls and other crazy stuff.

Yup I seen that on one of my testing machines.

That said, this is *much* farther than it went last time, so things are definitely improving.

.NET 3.5 support thru WINE is quite preliminary but you are right in each new version it working better.

Offline ldlework

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 02:12:04 pm »
Hey guys.

Just attempted to run this via Ubuntu32 Jaunty with newest wine. All installs complete but then I get the errors in the attachment.

Also - rtsnet.org requires a password... what is it?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:24:46 pm by ldlework »

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »
Hi Idlework,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the linux installer, note that it's not something that Arcen Games officially supports, it's been created by a dedicated player and is currently in the very early stages of its existence. Hopefully one of our members with more experience with Wine will be able to advise you further.

rtsnet.org should only request a password if you attempt to join using a registered nickname, can you join through the Web Client?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:36:44 pm by Revenantus »

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 02:51:24 pm »
Hey guys.

Just attempted to run this via Ubuntu32 Jaunty with newest wine. All installs complete but then I get the errors in the attachment.

Also - rtsnet.org requires a password... what is it?

Hello and welcome  :)

You used my installer or installed all perquisites manually?

Offline ldlework

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 02:52:51 pm »
Yes, all pre-reqs are installed. The whole installation went fine. I get those errors when starting AI War. It looks like a genuine unhandled exception. (IE a bug in AI War that's showing its face when run in this environment.) If you need any more information from me or me to try things let me know.

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 02:55:39 pm »
Yes, all pre-reqs are installed. The whole installation went fine. I get those errors when starting AI War. It looks like a genuine unhandled exception. (IE a bug in AI War that's showing its face when run in this environment.) If you need any more information from me or me to try things let me know.

I see that error for first time. Extractly what prerequisites and in what order you installed?

Offline ldlework

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 03:00:34 pm »
Well I installed cabextract then well I fudged around with your installer like 20 times then realized standard Ubuntu 9.04 comes with Wine 1.0.1 so I upgraded that - deleted .wine/ - then ran your installer again. It installed without a hitch. Running AI War.exe gives me that error. My window manager is XMonad but I highly doubt that is causing the issue. But you never know.

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 03:01:55 pm »
Well I installed cabextract then well I fudged around with your installer like 20 times then realized standard Ubuntu 9.04 comes with Wine 1.0.1 so I upgraded that - deleted .wine/ - then ran your installer again. It installed without a hitch. Running AI War.exe gives me that error. My window manager is XMonad but I highly doubt that is causing the issue. But you never know.

Ok. You starting AI War when you are IN AI War directory?

Offline ldlework

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »
Hehe, yes.

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »
Hehe, yes.

Then officially i don`t have slightest what is wrong  ;D
In next week i'm relasing new, smaller installer with changed install method of .NET 3.5.
So maybe then will work. .NET 3.5 thru wine is just broken so... I can't promise that will change anything - but faith is beautiful  ;D 

Offline ldlework

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2009, 03:08:38 pm »
I believe this error has something to do with initializing the display device. The output log right before the error happens reads:

"fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d144,0x00000000), stub!"

Although the error in the unhandlederrors.txt I attached earlier lends itself to the instantiation of the Player class.

who knows... =(

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2009, 03:11:09 pm »
I believe this error has something to do with initializing the display device. The output log right before the error happens reads:

"fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d144,0x00000000), stub!"

Although the error in the unhandlederrors.txt I attached earlier lends itself to the instantiation of the Player class.

who knows... =(

Try:
wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks fixfonts

If still crashes give me C:\windows\fonts\ contents.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:16:14 pm by AcidWeb »

Offline ldlework

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2009, 03:33:09 pm »
Alright I'm doing a fresh install THEN fixfonts. I'll let you know how it goes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk