Author Topic: [7.008] Unable to load savegames from previous versions. (RESOLVED)  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
(I seem to have lost my mantis bugtracker account - either that or I never had one and only filed anonymously. I'm in the middle of registering a new one now and will file this there once I'm able.)

AI War (all expansions installed) just notified me about the 7.008 update, which I grabbed because I love the bleeding edge. In this case, woe is me - 7.008 seems to be unable to read savegames from 7.007.

Symptoms:
On loading a save from 7.007, the game takes an excessively long time to get through 'parsing encoded lines' during LoadSavegame. On a modern i5 processor, this is normally pretty quick, but instead it gets through about 4500 lines (of 41,000+ in my most recent save) every ten seconds or so. On reaching the last line it just dumps me back to the title screen again with no error notifications. I tried another save from the very beginning of the same game - same issues, just less lines to parse.

Starting a NEW game with the same map seed, settings and homeworld worked fine. I was even able to save THAT game and reload it as normal.

If attaching one of the 'unloadable' saves would help, I can do that.

System specs, in case they matter:
Self-built PC from parts.
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 (3.40GHz, running at stock speed)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 memory at DDR3-1600MHz speed (stock clock and timings)
Boot drive is an SSD, AI War runs from a conventional spinning hard drive
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 460 manufactured by Asus (stock clock)

edit: Adding RESOLVED tag to post title.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:20:24 pm by Zair »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: [7.008] Unable to load savegames from previous versions.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »
Odd, seemed fine in my tests.  Will take a look, thanks :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »
Ok, yea, I'll need a save as it's not triggering in the general case; I'll try some more old saves I have to see if I find one with the problem.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »
Okay, here goes!

...Yeah, I know, it's a 6/6 AI game ... I've been away for a while! I'm getting to know everything that's come out since Ancient Shadows.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »
Thanks :)  Fixed for 7.009, which is out now.  Please let me know if you run into any other problems.

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:19:15 pm »
Wow. I caused a version update.

Also, that was really fast turnaround. Thanks!

The game is loading in fine now. :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:21:21 pm »
Glad we could help :)

Generally if we literally break the game we fix it quickly ;)  Sort of a tradeoff for having much of what is usually internal QA handled by the community.  We do test stuff before we release it (and indeed I tried a ton of saves before finding one with the problem, this time) but we certainly don't do full regression tests of everything, so something like this is bound to happen sometimes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk