Author Topic: 64bit?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline TheOverWhelming

• Newbie Mark II
64bit?
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »
Curious if there will ever be a 64bit executable.. since there is a lot of concern about crashing all the time and the game explicity warns you about too much memory..
I disabled Compress Autosave and I haven't had a crash since (was rather surprised).. at least no crash for the past 35 game hours (not one game) (played a bit with a friend who crashes occasionally even with it disabled, was weird)
Disabling compress autosave is almost required for high ship caps (since during the autosave you can hit maximum memory, it seems)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: 64bit?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:58:00 pm »
A 64-bit version of the app wouldn't increase the amount of memory Unity lets the Mono heap use, unfortunately.  At least not to my knowledge.

Even if it did, a 64-bit version would not be able to play with a 32-bit version in multiplayer due to desyncs.  The math has to be done quite exactly the same on everything in the sim or it just won't work.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TheOverWhelming

• Newbie Mark II
Re: 64bit?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:55 pm »
Is there other way to increase the heap size?

I don't mind being limited to 64bit users only, since a lot of people have it.  However, having both executables would be just fine.

However, I recently found this thread through google.. kind of dumb.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk