Author Topic: 2 fold problem in a 12 hour so far game.  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Dressari

2 fold problem in a 12 hour so far game.
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:40:32 am »
A friend and I have been running a game with no problems for a total of 12 game hours. We spent a long time trying to consolidate our forces and set up a suitable front line against the AI's with a good portion of the galaxy under our control.

100 planet galaxy with difficulty 6 AI's and low ship count. AI Progress 625 by the time we had set up. We also had a botnet golem under our control making lots of zombies.

Now we seem to have suddenly run into a two fold problem.

The first is that the game became unbearably laggy, not so much internet lag or even de-syncing. But the game was moving at a fraction on the usual game speed without any time increases or decreases. We also tried lowering all of our graphics settings to nil and it did not change the issue either.

We then decided to load up the games separately and disabled the other player to see if it was a lag issue. But we still BOTH suffered from the same massive performance drop.

The second problem we ran into was when we tried to join each others games when we re-enabled the slots. For some reason the game will no longer send sync data to the non hosting player, at all. We wait 20 minutes and it didn't even go up 1%.

We can only suspect that the mass amount of units the AI's likly have by now is the cause. But we'd like some confirmation if that's the case, and some means of fixing this problem to avoid losing a game we've been running for 12 hours plus.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: 2 fold problem in a 12 hour so far game.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:15:40 am »
Welcome to the forums :)  Can you attach the save to this thread? (reply, click on additional options, and then browse for attachment, etc)  That way I can take a look at the save and see why there's so many ships that aren't being packed into carriers, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
You can also try changing your performance profile.  Lowering that should help if the number of units is causing the problem.  Should be in the settings page if I recall correctly.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:45:12 am »
I've found that multiplayer games also sometimes need a network delay to flow smoothly, depending on your ping. If you in the stats panel see a lot of flashing "WAIT" on one player, try pressing CTRL and + a few times while in game to increase network delay.

Of course, if the game _is_ flowing smoothly, but just slow, then network lag isn't the issue. Then lowering the performance profile on the host can help.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:25 am »
Lowering the MTU can also help if your network drivers are iffy.  Updating your network drivers and the firmware on your router is the other solution to that, though, of course.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:15:24 am »
Yea, various network things can slow it down more, but the main thing I want to address first is why there's massive lag even when they loaded the save up in single player.

Of course, there's probably something beyond the gamestate itself causing the sync data to not get sent in a timely fashion (or at all).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 11:17:03 am »
Right, that's all I was addressing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Bruteforce123

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 11:30:36 am »
Hello I am the 2nd person that was involved in this game, Dressari is at work I believe but I have the save file as well.

I'll look into trying out these other suggestions in the meantime. Thanks for the help in figuring out this problem :)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:04 am »
Hello I am the 2nd person that was involved in this game, Dressari is at work I believe but I have the save file as well.

I'll look into trying out these other suggestions in the meantime. Thanks for the help in figuring out this problem :)
Don't worry! We'll get to the bottom of this, and hopefully smash any bugs that might plague us all in the future! Thanks for taking the time!
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Dressari

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:10 pm »
Welcome to the forums :)  Can you attach the save to this thread? (reply, click on additional options, and then browse for attachment, etc)  That way I can take a look at the save and see why there's so many ships that aren't being packed into carriers, etc.

Here you go this is the save file. Thanks for the incredible turnout of answers. We will try some of the tips listed, lowering the profiles and such and see what happens.

Mostly it's just our concern that the other player cannot connect because it won't transfer sync data, meaning they just cannot connect to the game anymore unless we run the game alone now.

Edit: Oh blurb I didn't see my partner had posted the save file already. Haha! I just woke up when I posted this >.<
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:29:50 pm by Dressari »

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »
I just woke up when I posted this >.<
I hate to tell you, it appears you've missed work!

Offline Dressari

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 01:55:04 pm »
I just woke up when I posted this >.<
I hate to tell you, it appears you've missed work!

Ah crap! I better hope those dasterly AI's didn't sneak any cloakers through when I go in today D:

On a side note we managed to get some playability by lowering the profile and uping the network delay. But even still when we provoke the AI and he starts sending ships it gets laggy real fast again XD

Offline Dressari

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »
Oh well.... this is an interesting revelation, we're playing this as we're posting by the way...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »
Well THARs yer problem. ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 02:06:21 pm »
Mostly it's just our concern that the other player cannot connect because it won't transfer sync data, meaning they just cannot connect to the game anymore unless we run the game alone now.
For diagnosis purposes:

1) If you host a new game but wait before actually clicking "start game", can the other player connect in the lobby?  If so, does Start Game work properly with both still connected?

2) If you start a new solo game and enable a second player slot via Manage Players (on the escape menu), can the other player connect?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk