Author Topic: Ways in which you lose to the AI?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline allmybase

Ways in which you lose to the AI?
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »
Just curious how do you guys lose to the AI? How does it surprise or overwhelm you or cause you to quit?

For me some ways I lose are

a) not prepared for CPA from multiple directions
b) something cloaked and immune to tractors slipped by to my command station
c) get annoyed because there is an unbreakable planet
d) not well defended against special forces patrols

Offline ShadowOTE

Re: Ways in which you lose to the AI?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »
The 2 most dramatic:

1. Scouting unlocked roaming special forces, which destroyed a home command station and started a cycle of massive raid -> lost home station/core station -> AIP spike -> new, BIGGER raid. By the time we finally lost, we had 4000 ship raids coming in (diff 9 experimentalist ai + 260 AIP less than 2 hours in).

2. wiping out a tier 4 adjacent to my homeworld, only to find upon colonizing that the next world out was a tier 3 (and which could actually spawn tier 3 ships, since it wasnt directly adjacent to the homeworld). THAT was a mistake... tier 1 ships vs 600+ tier 3 ships (and probably 250 bomber 3s) with no substantial defenses = quick way to lose.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »
Usually the way that I lose is when there is a huge wave all at one planet (a few 1-2k ships at once in 4 player), and my team thinks we have the defenses under control, but it turns out that some ships slip past and run into our interior planets.  Then if our secondary defenses are not enough, we wind up losing one home planet command station... or more.  Other than that, it is mostly by CPA.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14:29 pm »
'Should we move to defend?'
'Naaah, bro, dont worry, my turrets will handle that wave no problem'

five minutes later...

'OH GOD THEY WHAT HOW ACCIDENTLY THE WHOLE GAME'

Offline allmybase

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:58 pm »
'Should we move to defend?'
'Naaah, bro, dont worry, my turrets will handle that wave no problem'

five minutes later...

'OH GOD THEY WHAT HOW ACCIDENTLY THE WHOLE GAME'

:D

Love it.

Offline Kryzite

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:14:59 pm »
All ill say is i hate the AI when they have vampires unlocked.

Not enough of a ship cap to be all the useful to a human player but they are the one ship type that seems to manage to catch me offguard, get behind my defensive line, and smear me all across the galaxy.

~Kryzite

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:21:08 am »
Not enough of a ship cap to be all that useful to a human player

agreement

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:19 am »
My personal fears in big CPA's or large waves are Etherjets, Planes and Vampires. Ether and Planes because they are cloaked and always find that weak planet without a FF and kill it and then the AI hits hard to break through the defense-chain. Vampires because they simply ignore everything I try to do to them. They just slip by my defenses, slide under the forcefield and kill the command station (or worse, power gens and all my FFs drop EVERYWHERE. grrr) :(
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:43:49 am by Moonshine Fox »
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Voodoomancer

• Jr. Member Mark III
  • Just a person please ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 07:34:51 am »
Not building up enough defences on a wormhole to a III system because I'm going to go capture it anyway in a minute, then getting an 1800+ wave because I have both a gravdrill and a Z spacetime manip on the planet...

...no one told me wave penalties were stacking  :-\

In My current game, I did it again for fun, just to try and see how long it'd last. I've ended up keeping it, 'cause the 100+ spider turrets kill everything before it gets even close  ;D
Although the AI is starting to use more sniper immune ships against that planet, which I am finding increasingly concerning...

Offline drum

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 08:12:21 am »
usually its 'cause I'm not paying attention

i need a big AWOOOOGA siren for when I'm looking elsewhere and my home is attacked :)

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 10:29:33 am »
Personally, I hate cutlasses. They seem to take forever to kill, and you end up with absurd Benny-Hinn situations where 400 cutlasses are chasing a MRS in a circle for 10 minutes while a fleet gets micro'd behind them (yes, I have had this happen). That said, it's only an issue in the early game, before you can get enough turrets up...

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:32:49 am »
cutlasses are like, no threat  :P

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 11:40:06 am »
Well, if they decide to ignore your fleet in favor of power generators, they get annoying, and the microing is tedious (at least until turrets go up in enough numbers to clear them out at the gates), but its true they aren't a major threat.

Offline soMe_RandoM

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 02:56:35 am »
1 black widiow golm ai controlled sent into my home planet after i sent 1 scout in it slow made it way to my home planet then i had reasonble fleet 400. all wasted then it left the system after damaging all engines then  about 50 ships went in with longer range then my ships maby it was raptors. then it came back to and sat thier wating for ships to spawn so it can make them useless. then i lost after wave of boombers came. :}
AI War - even the smallest units can make all the difference no matter how weak they are still quite capable of taking the hits. if it can Kill and receive damage then it worth its time other wise if it cant kill and cant take the damage for the higher surviving ships then it is worthless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk