Author Topic: Warping Units  (Read 1126 times)

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
Warping Units
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:23:41 pm »
With regard to the player version of warp gates (I forget if they're just called warp gates, but they look just like them) that allow you to make newly built units spawn at them instead of at the fabricator or dock or whatever, is there any way to use these after a unit has already been built? I forgot to turn these on and ended up with all my nice experimental engineers trapped on a backwater planet surrounded by hostile planets in every direction. Is there anything I can do to stuff these guys through that warp once they've already spawned on this planet, or am I limited to the option of trying to ferry them over by transport, or just scrapping them and rebuilding with the gate turned on this time? I guess that's reasonably balance between the cost of building and operating the transports and the cost of rebuilding the units, but it seems sad to have to make that choice because some dummy (me) forgot to press the ON button at the gate.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Warping Units
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:25:21 pm »
Nope, if you have units you need to move after-construction, you have to use the older way of transporting them around with transports, etc.  That's an intentional limitation, to prevent these things from being logistically too-amazing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:04:04 pm »
I'm more likely to go with the scrap-em and rebuild-em route, although that's possibly because I'm playing on a low difficulty and therefore tend to have a lot of spare resources most of the time. If I were having a harder time playing the economic game then I might find myself comparing costs between building transports and the potential of lost units en-route vs just rebuilding all the units with the warp turned on so they get there automatically.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:55 pm »
Fair enough!  Also valid.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk