Author Topic: Unit effectiveness against Turrets  (Read 2144 times)

Offline laxrulz777

Unit effectiveness against Turrets
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:14:58 pm »
While some of the in game help gives some general guidance on units that are good against turrets, I've found that there are several ships that are either very, very good or very, very bad that have no explanation.

Bad list:
Teleport Raiders: These units are beyond terrible. They will take approximately 3 days to kill a Mk 2 turret. (actually, it's more like 15 minutes but it FEELS like 3 days).
Autocannon Minipods: Not as bad as T-Raiders but pretty attrocious
Bombers: This is more of a mechanical thing. Bomber Mk 2s will be held outside of weapons range by tractor beams. Get something else to tie them up first so the bombers can actually do damage.

Good list:
Etherjets (not really spectacular, but their speed and immunity to tractors makes them useful)
Teleport Stations: A stack of Mk II Teleport Stations will destroy almost every guard post and wormhole stack up through AI progress 100+ (AI lvl 7). You'll lose 5-10 which (I think) is a pretty good trade. They also do it very, very quickly so if you're on a time budget they're by far the best choice.

I'm sure there are others if people have some to share.

Offline Ktoff

• Full Member Mark III
Re: Unit effectiveness against Turrets
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:25:01 am »
Excellent against turrets : Raid/Leech Starships. Leech Starships are sepecially fun on a planet where you have supply, no need for a mobile builder, just steal your beachhead :-D

Offline Haagenti

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:31:07 am »
Also excellent: EyeBots

They have low range though, so are vulnerable against lightning turrets unless micromanaged.
Nerfer of EtherJets, Lightning Turrets, Parasites, Raiders, Low Automatic Progress and Deep Raids (to name the most important)

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline laxrulz777

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:27:31 am »
I also discovered that Teleport Stations are (curiously enough) incredible against turrets. A stack of 30 takes out every turret node in a system and a stack of 60 (mk1s and mk2s) will take out every turret node in a mk 3 system once you lead off the ships (assuming no ion cannons).

Offline Kjara

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:47:30 pm »
Both armor ships and infiltrators also do really well against turrets of all types(though lasers also kill armor ships pretty fast and of course infiltrators die like flies to anything so you have to swarm with them).  Both have high enough unit caps you can swarm most types of tractors in reasonable systems.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk