Author Topic: higher AIP or fractured empire, what do you think?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
higher AIP or fractured empire, what do you think?
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:24:22 pm »
since I'm currently in a game where this choice could be of vital importance, I figured I'd ask you guys. currently 10 hours in a game against 8 spireling/7 vanilla on an 80 planet map. I've scouted all planets and there are a few targets I need to take care off before I can challenge the homeworlds. I've calculated that I, if I want to take all planets in a row (no gaps in my empire) I will need to take 15 more planets before I can attack the homeworlds. If i only take my targets I will only need to take 5. current AIP is 410, I am able to drop it down by another 160 or so (no superterminal).
Usually I take all planets in a row because of the dyson gatlings and zombies from a botnet... however, I only managed to get to the dyson very recently (so there aren't a lot of them patrolling my systems yet) and there is NO botnet in my galaxy. The golems I will have to clear the game with are 2 cursed and 1 armored (maybe a hive). I have spirecraft medium enabled, but no fallen spire. furthermore, one of the homeworlds has a core CPA guard post on it.
So my question is... should I take all planets in a row, which will enable me to defend more easily and let dysons stack (but end with higher AIP which could prevent me from succesfully taking down the homeworlds)? Or should I try to quickly take the targets I need and waste little time dealing with the homeworlds (but with a chance of getting destroyed in the next CPA)?
If I'm getting to many different answers from you guys, I will make a double save and try both different ways.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Re: higher AIP or fractured empire, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »
There are some unanswered questions, like your knowledge level and what you have unlocked.

If I were you, I would not take every planet, and I would also make a forward base that is somewhat fortified. You don't have to fortify every single planet, but you want something in the forward position that you should be planning on keeping. I don't use Dyson to win the game myself, never felt like they were that powerful. They are helpful, but they don't win the game (at least for me).

If you do try to take every planet, the game is going to become a grind pretty soon. A lot of players play this game like blackout bingo; it's not wrong, but it's going to take a while if you do that.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Entrenched Homperson

• Full Member Mark II
  • @#%$&*$#@*-&$@##
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »
Can you post a screen?
Options are deadly.... :O :O :O

Offline Nalgas

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »
Going by the way I usually play, you've already taken too many planets, so I think you can guess what my answer is.  Heh.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:15:53 am »
thx for the answers guys, but I think I already know what to do. Had an incoming CPA of 1311 ships (low caps) and my dysons + turrets (mainly gravity and tractors) stopped them from reaching my command stations (logistics only). I'm just going to take all the planets in a row and hammer the homeworlds to oblivion. And for the fun of it I'm gonna try it the other way too (It's time I get some experience with taking only the planets I need)
I'll post a screenshot of my current galaxy map later when I got some time.

Offline Kittens

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:58:44 am »
I would just bulldoze everything and damn the consequences. Damn them all to heck I say.

But it seems like you've already made up your mind to do just that, so kudos.  ;D

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:09:36 am »
woohoo, I killed off the first homeworld literally seconds ago. It was easier than I thought and this was the toughest one. armored golem in, kill EMP guardian mk V, armored golem retreat. Mark 5 martyr to deal with most of the aggro ships. amored golem in, kill Core CPA guard post, armored golem retreat. Hive golem in, release wasps, hive golem out. wasps destroy all other core guard posts + remaining forces. artillery golem + 2 cursed golems in to take out forcefields protecting command station. using the 2 cursed to take out command station itself. Used my fleet to destroy any reinforces from the core world.
Got an incoming CPA of more than 2k ships, but I heavily fortified my homeworld... So I'm gonna use my forces to rush through to second homeworld.
current AIP is 784, but I should be able to make it. not many obstacles blocking my way.

EDIT: won the game, just barely. ended with 1134 AIP. If I would have taken my time destroying warp gates and killing waves and being careful not to put dangerous planets on alert, I would have easily made it... But I didn't want the game to last another 6 hours, so I rushed straight to the second homeworld and beat the game at about 14 and a half hours ingame. My homeworld would have lasted quite a while longer, but I let all my other planets die. putting core world on alert really makes for some unpleasant surprises lol. It's pretty much the Hive golem that saved my butt during all this... without it, my fleet would ahve bee wiped out at the second homeworld, which had less annoying guard posts than the first one, but 400 extra mark V ships on it.
Unfortunately I had accidentally overwritten my previous save, so I can't retry and take as few worlds as possible. I'll save that for my next game :P
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:17:52 pm by zoutzakje »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk