Author Topic: Questions abound!  (Read 3412 times)

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
Questions abound!
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:41 am »
Hi guys!  I haven't had much luck finding the answers for these out there so hopefully you all will have the answers.

I have a Gray Spire Facility that won't go into low power mode.  I set it up to build in a loop but then realized I was running out of power and just wanted to turn it off for a bit.  It won't let me pause it though.  I have an Epsilon Eridoni facility in another nebula that pauses without any trouble so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I'll include the save just in case anyone wants to check it out.

I also had my first regen golem in a different game the other night.  I understand it just brings my ships back to life but is there a limit to how many it will do at a time?  If I lose more than X+ ships in a second do some stay dead?  Also, is it supposed to bring back the drones from my Neinzul Enclaves? It was fun watching them beeline from the golem to head to their deaths but depending on whether there's a limit on how many it can bring back I'd rather something expensive was brought back instead of this "free" drone.

And...the last question I promise!  ;)  Is there a way to get the planet info box in the galaxy map to show more?  I have one planet in particular that has so many AI things that the pictures just flow off the right side and I can't see them.  It's not a huge deal since they're written in there too but the pictures make it a lot quicker to recognize stuff.  I've had the same issue before with the "X 1" info on something go off the right side and not wrap around too.  Maybe it's just my resolution as I don't remember having this trouble other than on my laptop.  The planet is in this save as well.  It's called Matyfallmas and it's the 2nd planet heading down the bottom right arm.  I play at 1366x768 if that makes any difference.

What does the Major Construction effort mean when you have astrotrains on?  I've had it pop up and complete a couple times but I still haven't figured out what they're doing out there.

Thanks for any help!  So far I'm 1 for 15 games won but at least they've all been fun.  I'll probably just reply to this thread every time something new puzzles me so I'm not making a bunch of new threads and clogging things up.

[edit] changed topic title and added another questions ;) [/edit]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:10:16 pm by zleorg »

Offline tmm

• Newbie Mark III
Re: Questions abound!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:56:09 pm »
I believe low power mode was removed a while ago, but you should be able to pause queues.

I believe that regen golem resurrection is only limited by the golem's health, but resurrecting spawned units sounds like unintended behavior.

Major construction effort is a new feature from the astro trains rework a while ago, and is progressed by the new cargo train reaching its destination.  I think that you should have been attacked by the results by now, but I don't play with astro trains very often, so someone else might have a better idea.

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »
Thanks! 

You're right I just mean I want to pause the queue but it's not working for me.  I click the pause button and it just stays on go go go. 

Good to know about the regen golem not having limits on quantity at a time.  I'll have to make a new game and try it out with the new railpods.  I wonder how fast you could go through the golem's health with those guys around?  >D

I think I might have found what it did this last time.  In the span of how long it took my champions to rebuild all of a sudden the planet next to me went from easy peasy to having a super fortress on it...I think the construction effort just happened to have finished during that time.  That was quite a shock when I brought everyone else in to clean up and they all just disappeared.  Makes it more exciting though but tanks the economy.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:21:45 pm »
I have a Gray Spire Facility that won't go into low power mode.  I set it up to build in a loop but then realized I was running out of power and just wanted to turn it off for a bit.  It won't let me pause it though.  I have an Epsilon Eridoni facility in another nebula that pauses without any trouble so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I'll include the save just in case anyone wants to check it out.
This is indeed odd.  I loaded up your game, and I see the same behavior:  I am unable to pause the build queue for the Grey Spire foldout in the Fuadmhung system.  This seems to be a bug.
You can use Mantis - the Arcen bug tracking system - to report issues like this one there.

What does the Major Construction effort mean when you have astrotrains on?  I've had it pop up and complete a couple times but I still haven't figured out what they're doing out there.
The AI uses Astro Trains to deliver supplies for the Major Construction Effort.  When that counter hits 100%, some large enemy units will appear.  This can be golems, etc, so it is not a minor event when it happens.

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 06:10:47 pm »
I'll go put it up there then.  I just wasn't sure if I was missing a reason it wasn't working.

Would enemy champions count towards for a construction project as well?  All of a sudden the AI has quite a few more than I'm used to seeing. 

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:38 pm »
I went ahead and did a test with the Regen Golem and the Railpods.  I only had up to III since I didn't have a factory yet but once I powered them on they took the golem from 100% down to 10% shutoff in about 25 seconds. 

Was it fun to watch?  Absolutely.

Was it intensive?  It's the closest I've had my computer to stutter in this game so far.

Was it useful?  Beats me!  I'm not near good enough to know if it was a good use for the golem's health but I guess if you needed as much burst damage as possible that'd be a great way to get it done.  It did take a superfortress down to 7% though.  Not sure if 150 mil health fortress was worth a 360 mil health golem repair but it was pretty safe.

I attached the save so you all can try it out and see the fun too.  It's on the planet Tinlanc 3 hops SE of the homeplanet.  I have the railpods powered down.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »
You can't turn off your grey spire facility because that would take you below 0 energy.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:09:59 am »
You can't turn off your grey spire facility because that would take you below 0 energy.

Well when you put it that way it seems so simple.  :-[  I didn't expect when you pause it to have the power generated go out as well.  That doesn't really make a lot of sense for the power to go out when you pause the production of a queue but at least it's an easier fix than something wrong with my map.  Thanks!

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:54 am »
How do you guys all use the Maws?  I'm not really finding them all that useful but it might just be in how I'm using them.  I'll put them on free-roam defender near a wormhole but at the end of a battle I've really only ever have seen them with maybe 5 eaten.  This might just be an issue of I'm on 6 or 7 difficulty and battles just don't last long enough for them to make much of a difference.  Unless I'm underestimating the difference it makes having 10-20 ships gone from a battle without having to shoot them.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »
I don't use maws a lot so I wouldn't know the best purpose for them, but... When I use them I tend to just send them with my fleet and have them nom nom nom at some enemy ships. This'll keep my fleet lasting a bit longer which might just make the difference of taking that mk IV world or not. After the first few waves I hardly ever use fleetships for defending against waves. Ususally just a turret chokepoint will suffice (heavy beam cannons are gods). Often waves are dealt with quicker than the forces of an enemy world, so the maws have more time to nom nom nom when they're on the offence.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:16:10 pm »
Maws are pretty situational actually.

Because of how they remove ships from combat, if they swallow a low-cap ship like a Railcluster, that's a big deal, but if they swallow something like a Laser Gatling, that's pretty useless.

So it depends what they are fighting more then anything.

D.

Offline LordSloth

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:16:03 pm »
What non-faction ships use laser ammo?
Laser Guardians and Posts of course, Raid Starships, Laser Gatling.

I'm trying out armor boosters and am aiming to make my mobile fleet as durable as practical. Attractor Drones would actually be useful for allowing me to approach shielded laser guard posts with my bombers, but is there anything else they would contribute to, other than their combat stats which are better now? I've got several interesting choices for hacking from a pair of ARS.

If I was facing the Spire Hammer AI and their modules (I'm not) that might come in handy.

Offline zleorg

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:25:31 am »
I tried the Maws out some more and they're cool. Personally I just don't find them as fun as some of the other stuff.  Good thing there's the other stuff then.

I'm not sure about the laser ammo.  Don't some of the champions fire laser though?  If you're playing with that on they could help out some with fighting them.  Or even the Hybrids.  Their main gun is shell but they could have a laser module installed.

I have a question about how the Spire Archives work.  When I first read the description I thought it would give 9000k + 3000k but my total wasn't coming up correct.  I finally figured out that instead of giving 9000k + 3000k for a spire archive + sci ship combo that it really only gives you an extra 6000k for the planet so a total of just 9000k.  In my latest game I have a planet with Spire Archive x 2 so I figured I'd either get 18000k or 15000k depending on whether the archives give an extra 6000k + the 3000k for the planet or if they each give 9000k.  With 2 archives though I only end up with 9000k total.  I guess after reading this again that it isn't really a question but more of me just complaining.  ::)  It isn't really a bug but it did kind of feel like a bum deal as I first thought I was lucky getting them on the same planet but actually it's bad luck.  I guess my question could be does anyone else think that having the second archive should give more knowledge than having just one?

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:48 am »
Well, both seeding on one planet sounds like a wasteful situation indeed. I don't think they're meant to do that o.O
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 06:32:08 am »
Knowledge is basically "mined" from a planet, rather than produced. If you think of it that way, the normal science labs can mine until 3000 has been mined, and then the planet runs out. The archive is capable of mining deeper and can keep going until the planet has had 9000 mined. If you don't build a science lab at all, you'll still get 9000 from an archive world (just takes a bit longer).

And yes, both archives on one world is rotten luck. :( Might even be a bug.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk