Author Topic: Please help me out with the endgame  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Minotaar

Please help me out with the endgame
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:11:21 am »
Okay, so this game went as well as you could expect it to (mostly thanks to the Spire Maw being absurdly awesome), and I've got basically everything the galaxy had. (except one last ARS and a SuperTerminal, which I'm going to do next) But the minor problem is I have Avenger enabled on both AIs, and homeworlds have a Core CPA and a Core Raid Engine respectively. How would you suggest I proceed with the AI extermination? Never had to deal with these things before, and don't really feel like learning what they do by trial and/or EPIC FAILURE   :)
Main questions I have:
Does the CPA post release the ships immediately when triggered or does it give a standard 10-something minute CPA timer? Is the CPA equal to the tech level?
Just how bad is the Avenger? In that, how many times do you have to rebuild your fleet to kill the thing?  :) Maybe it's just better to kill the first station, run like hell, then kill the second before it gets to the destination.
Some other info about the game:
AIs: 7.6 Shield Ninny (pink) // 7.6 Stealth Master (yellow)
Minor Factions: Colony Rebellions (dealt with one), Marauders, Resistance Figthers, Dyson Sphere
Bonus ships: Spire Maw, Infiltrator, Tachyon MicroFighter, Sentinel Frigate, Armor Booster
Fabricators: Frigate V, Armor Rotter V, Bomber Starship IV, Warbird Starship, Anti-Star Arachnid, Paralyzer V, Translocator

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Please help me out with the endgame
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:51:42 am »
All else being equal, if you pop the Z reserve V on the yellow world once everything's almost down, they will help you a lot against the Avenger. :P

I've encountered each of these guardposts once or twice in an older 5.x version. :P The choice between CPA and Raid Engine depends on what technology you have at your disposal. If you have a strong mobile army with mark III raid starships and yet a weak defense (not enough to survive a stronger-than-normal CPA), it might be better to target the pink home. The last ARS might also contain a useful tech to equalise the Zenith cache V in the yellow home.
 If your defenses are good to go for a couple of thousand ships, pick the yellow.

In the raid engine case, it'll be worth charging and popping the raid engine with a full cap of 9 raid starships, and cop one wave. Bait this wave into your forward defenses if you prefer.

Last time I encountered a core CPA, it instantly freed enemy ships, and created two thousand more (of the AIP mark, not mark V) at a relevant enemy homeworld (not necessarily the one you're attacking). Cool down on this one is fairly long, at ~15 minutes, so you have time to clear the adjacent core world and then take on the home planet.

The core raid engine is like any other raid engine except they spawn mark V ships - so you *will* want to charge it before it spawns more than one or two waves.

As for the avenger... heh. Do you have golems and spirecraft? If not... good luck. Read its description carefully when it spawns.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:54:35 am by zharmad »

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:58:24 am »
If you want to cheese the Avengers, leave the enemy Command Stations alive in both systems and then pop them both at the same time (you'll have to clear out the reinforcement buildup on the homeworld you did first).  Game over without having to deal with the Avengers.  Makes me feel you shouldn't get credit for a win while an Avenger is alive.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:11 am »
If you want to cheese the Avengers, leave the enemy Command Stations alive in both systems and then pop them both at the same time (you'll have to clear out the reinforcement buildup on the homeworld you did first).  Game over without having to deal with the Avengers.  Makes me feel you shouldn't get credit for a win while an Avenger is alive.
Doing a double-kill is actually fairly difficult in a lot of situations, and is considered a legitimate way of "beating" the avenger plot.  If the presence of the plot forced you to double-kill, it served its purpose of making the game harder :)

But if you haven't fought an avenger before, I suggest trying one at least once.  Can be pretty entertaining.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:26 am »
hmmm.... I actually forgot if i put avengers on in my current game.... to lazy to look it up and I'll find out soon enough anyways lol. I got golems and spirecraft ready, so I should be able to take it out.... i hope

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:42:42 am »
hmmm.... I actually forgot if i put avengers on in my current game.... to lazy to look it up and I'll find out soon enough anyways lol. I got golems and spirecraft ready, so I should be able to take it out.... i hope
Oh yea, some implosion artillery will do nicely.  The Avenger was added before any of the superweapons (there were golems, but they weren't a superweapon-minor-faction back then), and is basically the "boss fight" of the "normal" game.  If you're playing around with a superweapon, let alone more than one kind of them, you should be able to handle it without too much difficulty.  And of course: fortresses.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
Oh yea, some implosion artillery will do nicely.  The Avenger was added before any of the superweapons (there were golems, but they weren't a superweapon-minor-faction back then), and is basically the "boss fight" of the "normal" game.  If you're playing around with a superweapon, let alone more than one kind of them, you should be able to handle it without too much difficulty.  And of course: fortresses.

yeah I got a botnet, cursed, armored and hive... I'll have an artillery as well before the endgame (very soon). Combined with my fleet and some implosion artillery, that should do the trick. I've never used fortresses though. I always have a better use for that amount of knowledge and resources. Usually dysons and zombies combined with my excessive use of gravity and tractor turrets is enough for any dif 7 or 8 game.