Author Topic: Nuclear Disarmament  (Read 3991 times)

Offline AlexV

Nuclear Disarmament
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:14:32 am »
Is there any way to safely dispose of an unwanted nuclear warhead? I've got a couple stored on a planet that isn't going to need them, which means I can't build new ones where I do want them. Apparently they don't fit inside a transport ship, and trying to move them under their own power has resulted in the AI suicidally blowing them up.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Nuclear Disarmament
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47:08 am »
Unfortunately not -- warheads are a real liability once you build them, so having a stockpile of the big ones in particular is quite dangerous (as in real life).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline danando

• NIGHTCORE FTW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:50:17 am »
my opinion? defend them on the edge of the planet where spped is = to 8 and with manny mrls or other turrets :D problem soved :D
[img width= height=]http://s11.postimage.org/qg9dneyrn/sig.jpg[/img]
>>one does not simply listen to nightcore and stop<<

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:48 am »
Find a nice backwater system way behind your front lines and put them there, as far away from the wormhole as you can. If you want, throw a cloaking starship on them (not sure if they can cloak warheads, but it's a good start).

Offline AlexV

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:33:09 am »
All of those keep them safe from unwanted detonation, but what I really want to do is to decommission them - removing them from the ship cap. So the only way to dispose of a nuke is to blow a planet up with it? Can't help thinking that I'd fire the weapons scientist who came up with that one. Oh well.

Offline danando

• NIGHTCORE FTW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:37:45 am »
wait?! why you got that many nukes anyway ?!?! if u were gunna destroy planets then do that othrwise why you got nukes?

Offline danando

• NIGHTCORE FTW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 11:43:33 am »
you should read the bug listings because i think theres a line saying nukes are classed as missiles or somthing so they cant go in transport anyway good look

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:25 am »
Huh? when did transports enter into this conversation?

Edit: duh! I guess I should have checked the top post...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:56:19 pm by ShadowOTE »

Offline AlexV

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 12:14:17 pm »
I had max resources, and time to spare, so I thought I'd stockpile some warheads for future use. I didn't realise they couldn't be transported at the time, or it wouldn't have seemed like such a good idea.

Offline danando

• NIGHTCORE FTW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »
yh alex  :-\ hope they dont go off :D

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »
I've used cloaking starships to great effect while moving warheads - most notably, in my dyson campaign, I used cloaking starships to hide a few lightning warheads so I could move them closer to the orbital mass driver, to engage the defenses. Damn warhead interceptors are a pain sometimes.

which reminds me. If you do find a warhead interceptor, you can use that to decommission your nukes :p
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:10:21 pm »
Wouldn't that detonate the nuke?

If so a warhead interceptor would be of no protection from nukes for the system it was in. I think I understand why 'core' mkIV worlds have them now, it's more than just for self-defense but the defense of the system(s) behind them.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:42:13 pm »
Wouldn't that detonate the nuke?

If so a warhead interceptor would be of no protection from nukes for the system it was in. I think I understand why 'core' mkIV worlds have them now, it's more than just for self-defense but the defense of the system(s) behind them.

Nope, warhead interceptors specifically disable the warhead without setting it off. That's the only unit in the game that does that, I should have thought to mention it myself.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »
Interesting use for a warhead interceptor, assuming you can get the nuke that far... cloaking starship perhaps?

Offline Nemo

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »
Definitely worth trying but the price of failure is high if you don't 'save scum'.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk