Author Topic: New Player - Resource/Ship Cap?  (Read 6099 times)

Offline GalateanGemmate

New Player - Resource/Ship Cap?
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:56:21 pm »
In my games, once I reach a certain point, I find myself at the metal and ship cap.

For example, in my most recent game I have spent the past hour at 2.5 million metal and maximum fleet ships (including unlocks). So far I've taken the two planets adjacent to my homeworld and two Advanced Research Stations, and am about to take a third. I am also eyeing a couple of Turret Controllers. My defenses have held off all the AI waves so far without help from my fleet.

But so many wasted resources is a huge red flag in my opinion. What else should I be spending metal on? And frankly what is the point of taking new planets unless they give me a unique unlock such as the ARSs or Turret Controllers or Fabricators?

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: New Player - Resource/Ship Cap?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:19 pm »
To me, it sounds like you're on too low of a difficulty. But you can always dump metal into mercs. Those are expensive as crap and should drain your coffers for a time.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline GalateanGemmate

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:55:27 am »
I'm up against an Entrenched Homeworlder 6 and a Tank 7. Could it be that I'm playing on Epic rather than Normal speed? Perhaps I am not taking planets quickly enough? Or am I just ridiculously good at this game without even knowing?

And, thanks! I had originally discounted mercs since they're more expensive but since I'm losing so many resources anyways I might as well get ships out of it!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »
You could also spend those resources on turrets and starships, both of which are decently expensive.
You can never go wrong with "more turrets" (until you run out of power, but it sounds like your income is high enough that you could support a few metal->energy converters).

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 02:04:23 am »
How to use metal:
-Build all fleet ships, starships, turrets, forcefields, minefields and everything.
-Attack with your fleet.
-Scout with Assault Transports (or Transports) filled with Scouts
-Deep strike with Assault Transports (and you fleet).
-Refleet.
-Be fast.

Reasons to take planets:
-Each planet lets you build a new Command Station which is huge if you go for Mark III Economical Command Station.
-More metal and energy.
-More buffer/defenses between your Home Command Station and the AI.
-A potential chokepoint.
-Staging ground for an attack to avoid deep striking.
-Staging ground for an AI Homeworld assault.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:07:13 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk