Author Topic: Metal & Crystal  (Read 7212 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Metal & Crystal
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:46 am »
nono, I actually rather appreciate it. Its a lot better to know why someone does/doesnt do something than be told it and expected to believe on faith.

Cool.

Although I think its cool that you wrote a game just to play with your family more :)

Two, actually.  AI War and Alden Ridge both came about from that motivation, although Alden Ridge won't be released until 2011.  But my wife and I loved playing Lode Runner: The Legend Returns together, and I wanted more-of-that-but-very-different.  So, Alden Ridge -- you're chased by guys like in Lode Runner, and you use tools, and that's about where the similarities end.  My wife and I have already gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that, mainly a while back; she designed about 30% of the levels for it, and we both played each other's levels a lot and she had a number of ideas for new features, etc.  Actually, other than Lars (Fiskbit), she's the only other person beyond me who's played that game more than a few minutes.

Incidentally, A Valley Without Wind is another game that my wife and I plan to play a bunch together, and that's one of the main motivators for me there.  We loved playing PixelJunk Monsters together until we exhausted it, and I wanted AVWW to basically be PJM + Chrono Trigger + Plants vs Zombies + my own ideas.

Not all my games are family-motivated, but those three happen to be.  The puzzle game that is coming next, the RPG called Cayenne that will come way in the future, and several puzzle and adventure games that I want to make are all purely based on my own interests... although, I imagine my wife will play all of them.  And I know my mom is really itching to get her hands on the puzzle game (actually, a lot of the staff moms are).

/tangent

the common folk comment was really just in jest..

I know, I could tell.  I was sort of jesting back, but also sort of responding publicly -- this isn't exactly private correspondence, and others will read your comment and maybe not know you were joking.

I was just kinda figuring that if you work all day in the office.. uhm.. doing whatever it is a single man (more or less.. different time zones you say o.0 ) office.. you must find /something/ to do all day long... >.>

What do I do all day long... well, answer forum and email correspondence; coordinate with other staff on the various parts of the game; handle business issues, contracts, vendors, etc; seek out new marketing and publicity and distribution opportunities; and program and design games.  Sometimes it's after lunch before I even get past the correspondence and business side of things.  December was particularly bad what with having to get set up with a new tax accountant, a new payroll service, new health insurance, and handle the handoff to my replacement at my old job.  Plus all the holiday stuff, and I had a birthday in there.  January is crazy so far because of two regional retail deals that have just been finalized, another new digital distribution partner, and of course all the stuff with the expansion and DLC.  Next week I can actually start sleeping again. ;)

Not that I'm really complaining, mind -- this is my dream job, and I was the one who set the schedule that has been so hard on me.  But even a dream job isn't just "happily ever after" like most people (myself included, really) tend to assume.  Maybe in a few years, if we get really popular. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 12:52:53 am »
Ah yes, the inevitable 'everything you say will be quoted and misquoted' that comes with being someone who matters

so after your 1 week hiatus for sleeping, you will keep the rest of the month open for 'play with the dev(s)' month?  :P
nahh I understand, :)
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 12:57:18 am »
After immediate release of the expansion, then I have to go on hyperactive business/correspondence duty for hopefully not more than a week, while the rest of the staff gets ahead on me with the puzzle game.  Then I get to switch to the puzzle game and work as fast and hard on that as I can, because every month in development costs Arcen a couple of tens of thousands of dollars and there's only so much cushion.  If the AI War expansion sells really well that buys more cushion -- but I'm very much trying to make sure that we can self-fund both the puzzle game (which is easy), and AVWW (which is probably going to work out, but which makes me mildly nervous given how many variables are still there).

Ah, the life of a small businessman -- I'm working hard so I can be sure to still be in business next year, you know what I mean?  It's not an idle concern, not that we're in imminent risk of going under or anything.  But, a number of indie developers have had one hit or one semi-hit and then squandered the opportunity that gives them; I don't want to join those ranks.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 01:11:24 am »
oh I totally know what you mean - I was a huge fan of an indie tactical game, Threadspace Hyperbol.. Unfortunately, it was an awesome game with nearly no publicity... -> dead game :( devs had to more or less abandon ship.. we are lucky the servers are still running

I do hope something like that doesnt happen with Arcen. Good to see you have it all planned out though :)

but you sure you couldnt maybe take a weekend or two? >.>
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 01:13:11 am »
Well, you never know.  But this is not really the right time for me to just be relaxing, I think.  There are some other considerations in my personal life that I'd rather not talk about just yet that keep me under a lot of pressure to make sure this all works out (besides the obvious).  But, we'll see.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 01:23:29 am »
ok cool :)

well i mean, if you ever do find some free time.. Even months from now when you get a chance to breathe :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 01:25:29 am »
Yup.  My hope is that it's going to get progressively less crazy over the year.  Fingers crossed!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk