Author Topic: Force Field Generators  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Bud Backer

Force Field Generators
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:40 pm »
Hello,

Another topic I searched about but didn't quite get information that I understood was about using Force Field Generators. The game advises to put them "on the enemy side of a wormhole" to prevent the AI to cross through it.

I don't understand.

To put it on the enemy side of a wormhole, don't I have to have a command ship in their system to make it? Which doubtless it won't last long enough to make the Force Field Generator. I assume that what is meant is to put it on my own planet at the wormhole leading to the enemy?

I don't understand how it will prevent the AI to move through the wormhole. Won't the AI simply destroy the Generator? I've seen it take down things like that in seconds so it seems like hardly a speed bump.

What am I missing?

Offline Arkillion

• Newbie Mark III
Re: Force Field Generators
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »
Any units who is not immune to force fields ( very few are) will get blocked by it and won't get trough. You need to bring a builder (in the CONST tab ) to be able to build without a station. Yes they may destroy it in a matter of seconds but it heavily depend on what difficulty and AI options are on ( such as exo-waves).

Pro tip: Send a cloaker starship with your builder to make it last far longer, since the AI tend to focus it down pretty fast normally.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:15:42 pm »
You can make mobile builders, they can build anywhere in supply. Ships without forcefield immunity have to destroy the FF before they can get into it. Ships with forcefield immunity for movement just ignore them entirely. Mobile builders can also make turrets. And mines. They can build almost anything a station can.

Basically, if you want to delay ships, you put a forcefield over the wormhole leading in. If you want to stop ships, you need sufficient firepower to complement the shield.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
Thanks for the tip. :)

From what I understood from reading here and the wiki, they are otherwise to be used to put something valuable IN but put all defenses OUT?

Offline Arkillion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »
Yes, since stuff inside do 75% less damage, except flak and lightning turrets.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 04:30:23 pm »
Railpods also seem to be unaffected by forcefields.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Offline Bognor

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:22 am »
There are many units that retain most or all of their effectiveness when under Force Fields, including Spirecraft Attritioners, Spirecraft Implosion Artillery, Spire Maws, Zenith Paralyzers, Botnet Golems, Riot Control Starships, Gravity Turrets, Tractor Turrets, Neinzul Enclave Starships, Spire Blade Spawners, Tackle Drone Launchers, and Lightning Torpedo Frigates.  Champions may fit into that category, depending on what modules they mount.
Your computer can help defeat malaria!
Please visit the World Community Grid to find out how.

Offline Arkillion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:08:50 am »
There are many units that retain most or all of their effectiveness when under Force Fields, including Spirecraft Attritioners, Spirecraft Implosion Artillery, Spire Maws, Zenith Paralyzers, Botnet Golems, Riot Control Starships, Gravity Turrets, Tractor Turrets, Neinzul Enclave Starships, Spire Blade Spawners, Tackle Drone Launchers, and Lightning Torpedo Frigates.  Champions may fit into that category, depending on what modules they mount.
I didn't go into details since most these are not the kind of stuff you'll go into when starting AI war ;)

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 08:04:01 am »
I didn't go into details since most these are not the kind of stuff you'll go into when starting AI war ;)

It's all good. :)

Too much info isn't always a bad thing; while I won't delve into all that right away, I'll be coming back eventually and checking again what people said because I may by then have a clue how to use the info.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:21 am »
Building a Force Field on an AI planet alone wont do anything. Waste of time and resources. It's better to build a real beachhead or nothing.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:45:21 am »
Building a Force Field on an AI planet alone wont do anything. Waste of time and resources. It's better to build a real beachhead or nothing.

Well, that was my thinking too, but I figured I was totally missing something!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:24 pm »

On a neutral planet, you might've. But on an AI planet, Kahuna is right, since if you just put the forcefield on the wormhole it'll attract ships while the wormhole post tinks it to eventual, glacially slow death.

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »

On a neutral planet, you might've. But on an AI planet, Kahuna is right, since if you just put the forcefield on the wormhole it'll attract ships while the wormhole post tinks it to eventual, glacially slow death.

An, now that makes sense!!

But it begs another question:

Are there "naturally occurring" neutral planets, or are they only the ones where I've destroyed the AI presence (or he mine) and no one rebuilt?

Offline Arkillion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
Only planet you destroyed, or lost ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk