Author Topic: Fallen Spire question  (Read 7118 times)

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
Fallen Spire question
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:52 am »
1. What would be an easy map type for Fallen Spire? Planning on playing on 4/4 AI difficulty because I'm a weak scrub.
Winning a game of AI War provides me with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Fallen Spire question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:31:38 am »
I like Concentric for that, though it's not ideal since you'll generally have at least 2 entry points into your territory.

X makes it easier to keep it to 1 entry point, but bear in mind that to go all the way through FS you'll need to pick 5 planets (other than your homeworld) that are all at least two hops from each other, and they can't be "dead-end" planets (ones with only 1 wormhole).

Snake is a possibility, but it tends to be quite a slog because the AI always only has 1 entry point too.

Clusters, or the simpler Mazes, are also decent possibilities for 2-entry-point games.

4/4 should be pretty forgiving.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:04:30 am »
Concentric was my first successful Fallen Spire.

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:31:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:02 pm »
Just one more question. There are achievements for winning at different stages during the Fallen Spire campaign. I don't want to start over for each stage. Is it possible to save at stage one, win, then load said save and continue to stage 2, save, win, load the save and then win at stage 3?

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:34 am »
Yep, you can get them all from the same game in that fashion.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RecursivelyEnumerable

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:55:03 am »
My favourite for the Spire campaign (Or, in fact, in general) is Clusters Microcosm. You can take all the planets you want in the cluster you begin in, then destroy anything with warp gate functions in AI-held planets in your cluster. This way, you can fort up behind two or three chokepoints, and you'll have lots of planets to build Econ Command Stations on to fund expensive Spire-related projects.

If your cluster is big enough, you may even be able to build five Cities if you place them correctly. The best cluster type to start in is a Concentric cluster, in my opinion. Optionally you can also take the planets directly connected to your cluster, to create buffer zones.

I'll post a good seed if I find one.

Offline Ovalcircle

• Meh
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »
My favourite for the Spire campaign (Or, in fact, in general) is Clusters Microcosm. You can take all the planets you want in the cluster you begin in, then destroy anything with warp gate functions in AI-held planets in your cluster. This way, you can fort up behind two or three chokepoints, and you'll have lots of planets to build Econ Command Stations on to fund expensive Spire-related projects.

If your cluster is big enough, you may even be able to build five Cities if you place them correctly. The best cluster type to start in is a Concentric cluster, in my opinion. Optionally you can also take the planets directly connected to your cluster, to create buffer zones.

I'll post a good seed if I find one.
The more tips the better! Thanks!

THE TRUE POWER OF THE AI

Offline RecursivelyEnumerable

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 06:07:50 pm »
Happy to help!

Another map type I'd mention is X; on some X maps, you can fit in 5 Cities in one of the four 'branches', and put everything into a single chokepoint. But 80-Planet X maps which have that may take some time to find. Again, make sure any standing AI worlds behind your chokepoint don't have any structures with full warp gate functions, or you may find a massive exogalactic strikeforce in your back yard.

On a spire-heavy campaign, I often play on a 90+ planet map, and take two or sometimes three homeworlds, because this usually makes Spire logistics easier. Though if you start with multiple homeworlds,  take care with choosing their locations, otherwise you might screw up an optimal placement of Spire Cities.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk