Author Topic: Er... *Cough Cough.. Help?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline hilariouslijah

Er... *Cough Cough.. Help?
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:32:27 am »
Hey all, I'm new to AI war, and I recently started a campaign with one of the AI types as "Shield Ninny". I am already regretting my decision, as a planet that I really want (It has an Advanced Research Station, a Distribution Node, and a Showdown Device) is equipped with a fortress >:(. I have launched 3 massive waves, consisting of most of my fleet (including the Campion and a lot of starships), but I just can't kill the damn thing. :'(. I am hoping someone can enlighten me about strategies against fortresses.
P.S: It's a MK III fortress, so yeah.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
Re: Er... *Cough Cough.. Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:45:03 am »
bombers are basically immune to fortresses. One thing I maybe could recommend is the use of warheads - you have three choices, with varying results and AIP:

EMP warhead - Kinda nice, makes everything quiet so you can do random things. Planet-wide effect, 30s or so per

Lightning warhead - blows up small ships first, good at clearing tons of junk, not so great against fortresses

Armored warhead - super great at blowing up fortress, marginally less useful against masses of units (lower range is mostly the thing).

Either of these will really help if you absolute *must* have it. Otherwise, consider waves of suicide bombers to blow up the fortress - A fortress basically cannot destroy bombers. (or any polycrystal hull). itll be timely and kinda expensive, but eventually the fort will die.

Final option is just to ignore it. A fort's range is actually kinda small , so you can blow up what you need and take the command station and then put up your own, getting the ars and other things.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Arc-3N-4B

• Artificial Intelligence
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:26:07 am »
Alternatively, you could spend some knowledge to unlock one of the higher mark turrets. They have radar dampening, and a max range greater than that, so if you build, say, mk2 missile turrets they should take the fort out with no trouble whatsoever.
Destroying humanity, one command station at a time.

Offline Bognor

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:55:30 am »
If you're using Missile Turrets, Mark I should do just fine  :)

Or Sniper Turrets for that matter.
Your computer can help defeat malaria!
Please visit the World Community Grid to find out how.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:07:13 am »
Or destroy the command station on that world and those on all the adjacent ones - it might deprive the Fortress and the shields of supply.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline hilariouslijah

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:53:42 am »
Thanks! I'll try the warhead strategy. The problem is, the command station has invincibility and the generation is right next to the damn fortress. >:( Thanks again.

Offline vigilo confido

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:09:08 pm »
Fortresses are not that hard. Just send bomber starships as they take only 1% damage from fortresses.

Offline motai

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:22 pm »
final option not yet presented is to hack it sabotage hack will do the job if i remember right

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »
Sabotage hack would be my reccomendation.  They really save my bacon from time to time.  If you think a Mk3 fort is bad alone, try one under a forcefield next to a bomber-vaporizing laser guard post...

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:07 pm »
Sabotage hack would be my reccomendation.  They really save my bacon from time to time.  If you think a Mk3 fort is bad alone, try one under a forcefield next to a bomber-vaporizing laser guard post...

That's easy.  Blow up the guard post first.  Non-bomber units CAN get into range of it before they all die.  Bombers, OTOH will never even tickle the shield.

Try a laser guard post under a force field adjacent to a fort.  You're fucked if you don't use bombers and your bombers are fucked.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12:37 am »
In that case you will have to beachhead the planet. Use Mark >= II Needler Turrets to destroy the Force Field, then Sniper Turrets to destroy the Laser Guard Post and then Bombers for the Fort.

If I remember correctly HBCs also have radar dampening so they can be used to destroy the fort too. I think I destroyed a Super Fortress with a Mark IV HBC once.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk