Author Topic: Giant list of planet names  (Read 27600 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: Giant list of planet names
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:59:38 pm »
Added "Reticulii" as a name component as well as the entire Hebrew Alphabet. Over 2700 names now!
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 09:28:51 pm »
Ok i've sectioned the names list to avoid embarrasing sounding collisions between alphabets and stuff, so the count is down. However at kjara's suggestion i've added the NATO phonetic alphabet, so the count isn't as down as you might think.
If anyone has a problem with the combinations generated feel free to tell me and i'll tweak my code!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Offline Baleur

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 10:06:46 am »
I like it but frankly it sounds a bit wierd with Alpha Alpha, or even Epsilon Beta and Beta Epsilon.
I'd prefer is these were only used as the first part of the name, with the second part being an actual name such as Betelgeuse or Rigel or whatever.
Such as one of the other "pronouncable names" lists combined with this one.

edit: actually pronouncable common star names I'm using myself in my file.  ;D
http://library.galciv2.com/index.aspx?m=607
http://library.galciv2.com/index.aspx?m=514
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:09:16 am by Baleur »

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 12:30:52 am »
Sure, that's true. I'll see what i can do, i might have to think about it some. I think i can prevent it from generating "Alpha Alpha" type names, and also offer names such as you suggested!

Offline Megagun

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 05:51:42 pm »
This here is a list of 36110 names generated from the Noctis IV galaxy. Here's a screenshot of the game with these names enabled.
Keep in mind that these are all player-submitted and might thus contain NSFW or otherwise questionable content (though should not).

Furthermore, over here is a list of 132 names from Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters; mostly real-life constellation names or names sounding like they might be real-life constellation names. This is a screenshot with these names enabled.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:01:23 pm by Megagun »

Offline Velox

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 06:40:40 pm »

Furthermore, over here is a list of 132 names from Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters; mostly real-life constellation names or names sounding like they might be real-life constellation names. This is a screenshot with these names enabled.

Win!  I've been playing games a looong time, and SC2 has defended my "overall favorite of all time" against all comers.

Offline xeren

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 04:15:24 pm »
This here is a list of 36110 names generated from the Noctis IV galaxy. Here's a screenshot of the game with these names enabled.
Keep in mind that these are all player-submitted and might thus contain NSFW or otherwise questionable content (though should not).

You are the best person

Offline triggerman602

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 11:07:30 pm »
here is my list of 682 unique, memorable and easily pronounced planet names with a screenshot of them in use.

Offline CPTKOOL

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 11:12:45 pm »
ummm... marclar? :-\
sorry, excuse this post, i missed the reference
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:14:49 pm by CPTKOOL »

Offline xeren

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 11:19:34 pm »
Now I just need to find a list of Master of Orion system names :D

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:52 am »
here is my list of 682 unique, memorable and easily pronounced planet names with a screenshot of them in use.

2000 AI 1 Nuclear Missiles (V) to Marclar in 00:07
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 03:33:51 am »
How did my thread become a dumping ground for planet names? Though i'd be happy to turn this thread into "Planet name Central", and have it stickied...

Offline Kjara

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 03:58:00 am »
Thread drift naturally happens :)

Edit: Just rename the thread, get it stickied, and provide links to the individual posts in the first post and we have our directory of planet names options.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:15:18 am by kjara »

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
  • om tare tuttare ture soha
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 11:55:36 am »
Ahhh. Well, I'll post my post from the other planet names thread here then....

This thread inspired me to make a list of planet names from Elite Galaxy 1 that could be added to an altplanetnames.txt
I find them easy to pronounce and remember, and there is something about the feeling of liberating a familiar galaxy from the AI.
Note, due to the catastrophic damage to the witch-space matrix during the first AI War, travel between systems may only be accomplished by using the rents, or 'wormholes' left behind, thus it is unlikely that any old traders navigational maps that were based on the physical proximity of stars will be useful.

There ya go.

256 Planet Names From Elite Galaxy One

<edit>
Also, a list of easy to pronounce and remember planet names taken from or related to Science Fiction  - see how many you recognise.
SF Names For 40 Planets
 <edit>

dM

Offline lazerwolf

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 12:46:05 pm »
My friends and I usually just word associate with the stock planet names changing them where we see fit. We have the entire cast of A Team, a lot of star wars planets, and random references and goofy names like The Jersey Shore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk