Author Topic: Giant list of planet names  (Read 27601 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Giant list of planet names
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:45:44 pm »
I was hearing someone complain about how hard it was to pronounce some of the names of planets, so i came up with this:

A list of ~2100 900 2700 2100 planet names, all should be easily pronounceable.

The script is attached too if anyone wants to take a look.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:29:58 pm by RCIX »
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline CogDissident

Re: Giant list of planet names
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:44:59 am »
I like your list, but its still a bit hard to distingush planet names when there are numbers next to them, so I spent an hour and scoured wikipedia to make my own altplanetnames file. It is only 306 planets long, but that should be enough to not see too many repeats. I used the following sci-fi series and authors to provide planet names.

Heinlin
Stargate
Firefly
Hitchhiker's guide
Ender's Game
Vorkosigan Saga
Uplift Series
Transformers
Star Wars (movies only, someone want to add all the ones from the books?)
Star Craft
Star Trek, though most was left out (due to their naming convention of only naming stars and the planet's number is how many planets out from the star it is. In practice this is hard to use in-game, so if someone wants they could pick out just the un-numbered ones or find a way to clean the list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_planets:_A-B#A )
Alien (movie)
Battlestar Galactica
Babylon 5
Dr Who (limited to just the one from movies/tv)
Red Dwarf
Robotech
Halo
Homeworld
Star Fox
Dune

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:58:00 am »
Thanks for that list CogDissident  ;D

Its not something ai war can use officially i think.. but its a nifty "mod" .. ehm yep ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline CogDissident

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:08 am »
Oh right, the way you use it is just drop altplanetnames.txt into your main AIWar folder (right next to AIWar.exe) and it will use those names once the game starts. But the lobby-menu won't show the names because it uses the same names for everyone in the lobby (but once the game actually starts then whatever the host-names for planets will show up).

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:16:14 am »
I like your list, but its still a bit hard to distingush planet names when there are numbers next to them, so I spent an hour and scoured wikipedia to make my own altplanetnames file. It is only 306 planets long, but that should be enough to not see too many repeats. I used the following sci-fi series and authors to provide planet names.

Heinlin
Stargate
Firefly
Hitchhiker's guide
Ender's Game
Vorkosigan Saga
Uplift Series
Transformers
Star Wars (movies only, someone want to add all the ones from the books?)
Star Craft
Star Trek, though most was left out (due to their naming convention of only naming stars and the planet's number is how many planets out from the star it is. In practice this is hard to use in-game, so if someone wants they could pick out just the un-numbered ones or find a way to clean the list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_planets:_A-B#A )
Alien (movie)
Battlestar Galactica
Babylon 5
Dr Who (limited to just the one from movies/tv)
Red Dwarf
Robotech
Halo
Homeworld
Star Fox
Dune

When i have time then i'll work on adding several more name components and removing the numbers. Thanks for the feedback!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:03:45 am »
This is a pretty good list. I like it. I am currently working on my own list of planet names, but my is to be themed a little differently.

Somewhat like the cause of the idea for me in the first place actually: http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,489.msg8604.html#msg8604

A screenshot tells all.

(click for large version)

... Try pronouncing Oorumtch, or Muioswig, or Enanoorhas, or Tchdisasi, or Owvarplu. Its hard to do, hard to understand, and hard to remember! Saying "You take out the warp gate in Eliujoka, and i'll capture Saijipu." Is quite difficult.

... it is quite hilarious to say "PhonSiE just took over Taco Bell, you push over to Dr. Phil while me and Volatar will take Mudkips, skip past Deep Space 9 and take the advanced research station in Soviet Russia." while [still] being perfectly understandable  ;D

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:29 am »

Note that a while back x4k asked us to please steer clear of posting things like this which include copyrighted names:

http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,1504.msg9522.html#msg9522

However, later on in that thread he said that it would be acceptable to post lists with copyrighted names, so long as they don't contain any offensive content: http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,1504.msg9982.html#msg9982

Not that one shouldn't use some amount of discretion in what is posted, but it isn't contrary to his wishes (which I agree, should be respected).

Offline Velox

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:06:09 pm »

Wow, I'm an idiot - I managed to totally miss the conclusion of that discussion.  Pardon my interruption; I'll go remove the previous messages and slink into a corner.  So much for my good deed for the day!

Offline Kjara

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »
If I ever get unlazy enough, I'm tempted to do something like Rc's but based on alpha,bravo,charly(oh and without the numbers, since 26^2 is more than enough).

Edit: though reading others comments I may have to try his file as well :).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:16:17 pm by kjara »

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »
I've been playing with cogdissident's file now and gotta say - the amount of improvement of gameplay this brings is a lot - you can easily find planets and you can easily remember names, and sometimes you will even remember your favorite sci-fi series ;P

So yeah, kudos for that file ;) 1 hour well spent i'd say
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:54 pm »
Ok it's been updated (I edited it yesterday but i doubt anyone saw). Is it possible to be stickied now? there's several good lists here!

Offline Kaptein

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 11:08:05 am »
Hey if i add the sci-fi names list to my game, will my friendly peers see these same names as well?
I assume the pregenerated systems are synched before gamestart
But i gotta ask anyways

Seeing as the post below this one had all the answers I quickly destroyed evidence this was ever here
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:10:16 am by Kaptein »

Offline laxrulz777

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 07:03:28 pm »
Does anyone know how to do this on a steam install? Steam cleverly hides the game files from me...

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 09:18:00 pm »
The Steam install is nearly identical to the non-steam install, it is just kinda hidden. Mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ai war fleet command

Offline Baleur

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 07:35:42 pm »
You forgot Zeta Reticulii  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk