Author Topic: GFX Mod: Alternate Fortress and Forcefield Generators  (Read 15868 times)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
GFX Mod: Alternate Fortress and Forcefield Generators
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:10:08 am »
Colony Ship and Transport replacement do not work anymore since sprite sizes changed

Oh yes... install, extract transport ship rar in your AI War/Images directory, back up first

Colony Ship replacement here -> http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,2653.0.html
Transport replacement here -> http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,2662.0.html

The rar includes the fortress and shield gens in their respective folders, all animated and all color masked

The fortress now has... glow
The forcefield now have... glow (except the smallest 1 (MK1) since its just 32x32 ~.~

Only thing is that the color mask might cause some weirdness on the fortress..since the brightness isn't totally uniform ;p

Edit: Oh yes, thats about all the gfx mods i am doing for now ;)

Merry xmas everyone ;p

By the way, for those who want a more "fitting" color mask for the fortress with generally darker tone can dl alternate below (just replace the color mask.png in the flying fortress folder
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:43:06 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline FFLaguna

• Newbie Mark III
Re: GFX Mod: Alternate Fortress and Forcefield Generators
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:30:07 am »
For the fortress, can we get some asymmetric "bars" radiating out from the center, just like the image you said the fortress would be modeled after? The one you came up with is gorgeous, but it's too symmetric! :D

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:36:09 am »
hehe.. well i will see about that... but sadly that "fancy" image doesn't really scale well to 512x512 (i never build a fortress so i didn't even know that they were this large, heh)

For the moment nobody will ever build a fortress anyway (since they are completely useless) consider them a large, useless glowing beacon of hope for now ;)

That said, i am maybe doing a revision of the fortress but given its size it won't be anytime soon

Ma boredom is limited
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:55:41 am by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline FFLaguna

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:33 am »
Okay, well how about this: The blue domes on the ends of the spokes are a bad color. It ruins the cool metal and light blue look that the rest of it has. ;)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:19 am »
Well then you have to pick another player color! ;)

If you REALLY dislike player colors altogether you can just replace any colormask.png (in the folders in images/ships) with this one

Its empty so all ships display their "true" color for the fortress that would be a very dark grey

Offline FFLaguna

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:47:43 am »
Oh, thanks a ton! Heheh, I'll use the color mask you suggested :D

Offline raptor331

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:14 pm »
wow didn't think my request for a new fortress skin would be answered so fast thanks!!!! ;D

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »
If anyone is interested I've been using this as a replacement Fortress sprite:

Now that's what I call a lump of heavy metal.  (Shame the stats don't match the bark, eh.  "Soon my pretty.  Soon.")

Here are the PNGs.  (Re-used bits and pieces already in the game here and there in the above.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:02:38 pm by I-KP »
Atmospheric & Lithospheric Reticulator,
Post-accretion Protoplanet Aesthetic Seeding Team,
Celestial Body Design & Procurement Division,
Magrathea Pan-Galactic Planets Corp.,
Magrathea.

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 03:08:44 pm »
*Explodes*

Chris should totally replace the default fortress model with one of these... rofl.  I sure like them!
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Kaptein

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 05:23:56 pm »
I-KP now THAT is a good bitmap
I've been pixel arting (although hobby-ishly) with and around some of the all time masters, like Fool
i must say, that is pretty top shelf, even if its not pixel art :) if all of ai war had that style it would have been a crime to complain

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:28:50 pm by Kaptein »

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »
It's not all pixel art, granted.  I do try not to deviate from the style that has already been established within a game which is predominantly pixel art-esque for Ai War.  The Golems have pushed that boundary back a bit tho with their more render art angle, which the above is more in tune with.  Bare in mind also that I pinched the spikey Golem render for the second ring in the above so it's not entirely done from scratch, just very heavily altered.  (Easy way to keep to an established style is to recycle some bits of things already done - bit of a cheat some might say but the important part being that nothing from other games is recycled.)
Atmospheric & Lithospheric Reticulator,
Post-accretion Protoplanet Aesthetic Seeding Team,
Celestial Body Design & Procurement Division,
Magrathea Pan-Galactic Planets Corp.,
Magrathea.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:22:18 pm »
Yesh that looks much better indeed ;p

But you really put way too much effort in that one!  ;D :D Reusing existing sprite parts.. i never thought of that...

Seeing that fortress reminds me that it'd be nice if the ships were 3D Models.. one could do so much more in terms of light/shadow and glow effects that way.. ah well ,p

Do you have any more replacement sprites?  ;D

Offline raptor331

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »
Yesh that looks much better indeed ;p

But you really put way too much effort in that one!  ;D :D Reusing existing sprite parts.. i never thought of that...

Seeing that fortress reminds me that it'd be nice if the ships were 3D Models.. one could do so much more in terms of light/shadow and glow effects that way.. ah well ,p

Do you have any more replacement sprites?  ;D

If the game used 3d models my computer wouldn't be able to handle this game :'(

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:38:19 pm »
Well tis true, but AI war only saturates my basic strategy urge, not my "Homeworld 3 (Style) with Total War aspect (Map) " urge, and as a 3d-artist of course my "grand space visuals" urge (which is the main reason i even do spaceships in space renderings ,p).

Or to put it bluntly, i grave for epic visuals or a Nexus 2 or Homeworld 3 release :D

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »
If you want an awesome space game check out Evochron Legends! i saw it from a blog post linked to by someone on this forum, i forget where -- something about Sugar Free Gamer...

I plan to pick it up soon, but i think Droid Assault is first. Just not sure...

[end shameless plug of other indie type games]
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk