Author Topic: What Memo?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
What Memo?
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:33:01 pm »
In the interest of conquering the whole galaxy, I decided to take on the What Memo challenge.

I haven't really been documenting my attempts, but I had to start here.

Because the AI just sent 13 raid starships on the least effective raid ever.

They started in Waco (top) and went clockwise around until they hit Cenow (blowing up the command station).  Only 3 survived to make it to Yopar, only 2 jumps from where they started, and subsequently died.

At this point I own 14(15) worlds out of 120.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:35:23 pm by Draco18s »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: What Memo?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:03:22 pm »
Yea, there's currently a bug from when I tried to get the AI to not be so baitable by "pop a golem into a system under attack, everyone breaks off for the golem, back the golem back off the planet".  The unintended side effect was making it not give anything like normal priority to killing irreplaceables most of the time.  Currently in the middle of some big threat "where can I win?" analysis changes but should have it sewn back up for a Monday release :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:15:19 pm »
Yea, there's currently a bug from when I tried to get the AI to not be so baitable by "pop a golem into a system under attack, everyone breaks off for the golem, back the golem back off the planet".  The unintended side effect was making it not give anything like normal priority to killing irreplaceables most of the time.  Currently in the middle of some big threat "where can I win?" analysis changes but should have it sewn back up for a Monday release :)

That would do it.

Might also explain why the "place mines from wormhole to command station" trick is not working so well.  The AI goes "screw this" and leaves through another wormhole only to turn around and come back (or in some cases, continue on to a third wormhole).

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
I have recruited the help of another human ally!

And we thoroughly stomped across a good swath of AI space.

This is also his first game with hacking as a resource.  He hasn't played in a while and finds it quite refreshing to be playing a game without a care in the world for AIP.  Also I picked up Control 25 for the first time.  Fancy.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:09 pm »
The AIs raided us bad.  Took back a good half of our systems from us.

Of course, all is not lost, turns out I can clear this system pretty easily, but something's clearly wrong with them:

The starships are exhibiting brownian motion, the rest aren't moving at all.  If I put units in the system they move towards, stop, move again, stop, repeat.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »
This is the sort of situation in which you give the developer a save file ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:25 pm »
This is the sort of situation in which you give the developer a save file ;)

I would.

If I knew where the saves were (Steam install).

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:24 pm »
I don't have it in front of me, but:

program files x86
steam
steamapps
common
AI war
RuntimeData
Save

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:38 am »
Good luck with the save. Even if you can find the save file, several instances of this "AI units almost not moving" things were things that didn't "save" very "well", aka, the AI units seemed to "unstick" themselves upon reload...

As you can imagine, bugs like that have been a major pain in the butt to get a report for properly. Some of them are still sitting unresolved in mantis, waiting for a good way to reproduce it, though admittedly, Keith has fixed the most common ones, which is greatly appreciated. :)

Offline RockyBst

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 04:43:52 am »
FYI, this is what happened with all the ships on planets where I popped the command station on that 10/10 game. A whole bunch just kinda sat there.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00:44 am »
Oh, I already verified that this persisted across saves.

I'll give you the one after I set it back to 1 player, the buggy units are in Ribub, along the western edge.

RuntimeData

And that's why I couldn't find them.  There's a "Save" folder right next to it.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:22:24 pm »
Oh, I already verified that this persisted across saves.

I'll give you the one after I set it back to 1 player, the buggy units are in Ribub, along the western edge.

RuntimeData

And that's why I couldn't find them.  There's a "Save" folder right next to it.
I've seen this too - I think it only happens to Threatfleet.  Do you see newly spawned reinforcement ships moving at full speed, while the threatfleet dances?  I'm guessing it's doing a target loss/retarget cycle every second or so, according to the F3-debug mode.
And it ONLY seems to happen to Threatfleet ships.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 01:29:13 pm »
I've seen this too - I think it only happens to Threatfleet.  Do you see newly spawned reinforcement ships moving at full speed, while the threatfleet dances?  I'm guessing it's doing a target loss/retarget cycle every second or so, according to the F3-debug mode.
And it ONLY seems to happen to Threatfleet ships.

Yep.  Had some other units (from the other AI, actually) fly right by them and attack the adjacent planet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk